Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sarah Grimley <sa...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2002/12/09 16:50:33 UTC

Advice please: Apache doesn't seem to resolve Tomcat symbolic links

Inside my WEBAPP my subfolders 'ICONS' and 'TEMPLATES' are actually symbolic links to folders elsewhere.
I have enabled them to be accessed by my WebApp, by placing this code inside the Tomcat server.xml:
<!-- Tomcat MY_APP Context -->
        <Context path="/MY_APP" docBase="MY_APP" debug="0"
reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
prefix="MY_APP_log." suffix=".txt"
timestamp="true"/>
        <Resources className ="org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext"
allowLinking="true"/>
        </Context>

I can then refer to gifs in my HTML as:   <../icons/mypicture.gif>

This all works fine when I used Tomcat as standalone.

Now I want to use Apache with Tomcat as the webserver.

I configure Apache as follows:

<IfModule mod_webapp.c>

  WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
  WebAppDeploy     examples warpConnection /examples/
  WebAppInfo       /webapp-info

  WebAppDeploy     seqreq warpConnection /MY_APP/
</IfModule>

I also include following in the Tomcat server.xml:

 <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">

    <Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
     enableLookups="true" appBase="webapps"
     acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

    <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
     name="Apache" debug="0">

              prefix="apache_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>

    </Engine>

  </Service>

Now my problem is that the symbolic links no longer resolve... so my gifs are not found.  The rest of the files can be accesses no problem, so I am sure it is because of the 'virtual' links to the icon folder.

Can anybody help me to solve this problem?  Thank you.