Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Richard M. Lemanski" <rl...@ee.siue.edu> on 2000/07/21 03:05:19 UTC

AB error - WARNING: Response code not 2xx (403)

Josh,

I was able to overcome the Forbidden error by uninstalling mod_perl,
apache-manual, apache-dev, and then apache and then reinstalling it.  I am
working with RPM distributions so maybe that is why it is so flaky.

The server craps out whenever I make a change to the httpd.conf file that would
be somewhat more demanding on the server and then run AB and then I get this
error "WARNING:  Response code not 2xx (403)" repeated for every request it
sends.

These are the commands I am using:

# ab -v 2 -n 100 -c 10 192.168.0.5/cgi-bin/modcgi.pl
# ab -v 2 -n 100 -c 10 192.168.0.5/perl/modperl.pl

The -v 2 is level 2 error/messages that get displayed during the benchmark.

I am just following the Stas Bekman Benchmarking Guide but I started the
testing with the Apache defaults:  8 servers, 150 clients, 100 req per child,
min spares 5, max spares 20.  Once I start his specs of 10 servers, 50 clients,
1500 req per child, min spares 8, max spares 6, I can no longer access the
server.  I am not sure if there is a way to clean and restart the server?

As far as I can tell, Apache 1.3.12 RPM, you start it by # httpd but kill it by

# kill [root HTTPD PID].

Apache 1.3.9 was cleaner in that you could start/stop server with
# apachectl start/stop

Yes, the initial HTTPD is owned by root but all of the rest run as nobody.

My simple perl script contains nothing about Forbidden.

It has gotten so bad that I have automated a script called abclean to remove
all of the RPM distributions one by one and then reinstall them, copy my
httpd_old directory over the httpd directory so my scripts are there and then
start httpd so I can get right back to it..

I have looked at the mod_perl guide - have it in pdf format but I did not see
where it addresses this issue.

The grep for apache turned up nothing because the executable is
/usr/sbin/httpd.

Thanks a bunch for all of the help Josh.

-- Rich

Re: AB error - WARNING: Response code not 2xx (403)

Posted by Tom Mornini <tm...@infomania.com>.
On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Richard M. Lemanski wrote:

> The server craps out whenever I make a change to the httpd.conf file that would
> be somewhat more demanding on the server and then run AB and then I get this
> error "WARNING:  Response code not 2xx (403)" repeated for every request it
> sends.

Run vmstat on the server during the testing and see if it starts swapping.

--
-- Tom Mornini
-- InfoMania Printing and Prepress