Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Andrzej <a....@gmail.com> on 2022/11/28 10:52:34 UTC

Is Maven Wagon future-proof?

Hello,

I'm busy removing the maven-compat dependencies from versions-maven-plugin
and WagonManager seems to be the last of them. I'm wondering now how
future-proof it would be to use Wagon without WagonManager, i.e. simply
using the current API as described on https://maven.apache.org/wagon/

Simply put, I don't know the roadmap. If Wagon is going to be deprecated, I
can use HttpClient from HttpComponents for Http transport instead.

Best regards
Andrzej

Re: Is Maven Wagon future-proof?

Posted by Andrzej <a....@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the answer. I've actually started working on an implementation using HttpClient5 and it's going smooth so far. But I'll use Wagon now :)

Thanks again and best regards,

Andrzej

________________________________
> I'm busy removing the maven-compat dependencies from versions-maven-plugin
> and WagonManager seems to be the last of them. I'm wondering now how
> future-proof it would be to use Wagon without WagonManager, i.e. simply
> using the current API as described on https://maven.apache.org/wagon/
>
> Simply put, I don't know the roadmap. If Wagon is going to be deprecated, I
> can use HttpClient from HttpComponents for Http transport instead.

Hi Andrzej,

Wagon is definitively *not* deprecated. I am planning to skim a lot in
version 4 and move to HttpClient 5. Doing everything manually with
HttpClient is just unnecessary pain. Though, I won't pick up before
spring next year, if not even summer.

Re: Is Maven Wagon future-proof?

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.