Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> on 2017/05/04 17:38:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] What is a "Blocker" in our JIRA?

Hi Flink Devs,

while checking our JIRA for the 1.3 release, I found that some issues of
type "New Feature" have the priority "Blocker".
With the time-based release model, I don't think its possible to mark a new
feature as a blocker.

Only a bug that leads to wrong results, system failure or completely
undefined behavior (without any available workaround) is a blocker.
New features, missing documentation or inconveniences are never blockers.

I understand that people want to express that their feature is so important
that it is basically blocking us from creating a release, but with the
time-based release model, this doesn't really apply.

If nobody disagrees, I'll un"block" new features to "Major" new features.

Regards,
Robert

Examples:

Re: [DISCUSS] What is a "Blocker" in our JIRA?

Posted by Greg Hogan <co...@greghogan.com>.
My reference to post-hoc was in regards to release. Concurrent dev and doc is of course ideal but I think anyone running snapshot is aware that docs may be somewhat out of sync.

A better link discussing unreleased publication: http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#publication

Our “How to Contribute” works well to filter “developers” but we do link to the GitHub repo from the left panel.

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Hogan <co...@greghogan.com>.
+1 to restricting use of “blocker"

-1 to post-hoc documentation and unreleased publication [0]

[0] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html

Posted by Stefan Richter <s....@data-artisans.com>.
I agree with Robert’s suggestion and also vote for unblocking documentation issues.

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.