Posted to dev@orc.apache.org by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com> on 2021/10/06 05:10:37 UTC

[DRAFT] ORC Board Report for October 2021

It's time for our quarterly report to the ASF board.
I wrote a draft. Please let me know if you'd like to add or change anything.

--------
The mission of ORC is the creation and maintenance of software related
to the smallest, fastest columnar storage for Hadoop workloads.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache ORC was founded 2015-04-21 (6 years ago)
There are currently 43 committers and 13 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 3:1.

The PMC has been focusing on the community's growth to be
a healthier community by helping candidates.
- William Hyun was added to the PMC on 2021-09-30.
- The PMC voted a new committer and sent an invitation.
  The committer candidate is currently working on ICLA/CCLA.

## Project Activity:

In the last quarter, we succeeded in launching a new 1.7.0 release
in addition to three maintenance releases.

- 1.7.0 was released on 2021-09-15 as the new latest version.
- 1.6.10 was released on 2021-08-10.
- 1.6.11 was released on 2021-09-15 and became the new stable version.
- 1.5.13 was released on 2021-09-15.
  Since ORC 1.5.0 was released on 2018-05-14, `branch-1.5` had been
  maintained for 40 months. 1.5.13 is the last release and no more
  1.5.x releases should be expected even for bug fixes.

The community has been investing more and more in helping
the downstream projects use new releases in order to
help ORC users.

- Apache ORC 1.5.13 will be used by Apache Spark 3.1.3.
- Apache ORC 1.6.11 will be used by Apache Spark 3.2.0.
- Apache ORC 1.7.0 will be used by
  * Apache Spark 3.3
  * Apache Iceberg 0.13
  * Apache Arrow 6.0
  * Apache Druid 0.23

## Community Health:

Thanks to new releases, the ORC mailing lists, JIRA activity, commits, and
PR
activities increased greatly in this quarter.