Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com> on 2022/05/06 01:50:36 UTC

[DISCUSS] Old releases docs on artemis...

Can we stop storing old releases documentation on the website?

If we start to release bi weekly as we proposed, it's going to be a
lot of old releases in there.

Over the years this has accumulated a few already

https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/

If users want a previous doc, they can always just download the older
version with the docs anyway.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Old releases docs on artemis...

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
Again. I would just serve the latest only.  A lot simpler to manage :)

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Havret <h4...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
For me, holding a significant (years) window of docs/releases on the
site and then clearing out things beyond that every so often is
reasonable for a variety of reasons.

It leaves the more recent docs/releases we might expect people are
likely to be using available on the site, which is good for them and
for us, but it removes multiple-years-old things that we wouldnt
reasonably expect or want anyone to be using where much newer releases
exist, and the project doesnt really support anymore anyway. Updating
the site helps make that all clearer and the bits can ultimately still
always be found in the archive if really needed, which the site would
still note.

It also helps keep the site content in check both for the space it is
using on the web servers and on developer machines. The source for the
site is currently ~2.5GB with a rather large number of files (which is
probably as impactful rather than just the size alone). With git
metadata and build output etc you need 6GB+ to actually work on it. In
itself thats not too bad, yes I can also fit it on my phone, but
multiply that kind of size by the number of different projects which
the foundation has or that individual people work on, and it all
starts to add up to much bigger numbers and points where it is
actually something worth keeping in check.

It also helps keep the build from getting ever slower for those few
actually working on updating the site regularly, both locally when
working on updates and later for the actual live update on push. The
CI build now 'only' takes ~3 minutes to update the site on push thanks
to the faster env that job moved to at some point, but it used to take
6+ minutes not that long ago. I'm not sure how workable the 'dont
build bits to speed things up' idea is with the way the site works,
especially the actual remote build that updates the content for the
webserver, where it replaces and compares the output of the checked-in
output branch to decide what output updates there were that it now
needs to check in and deploy. Regardless, I think its just simplest
all round to just keep the build in check by removing the
really-pretty-old stuff that few should be looking at.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
The driver: I just thought it was pointless to serve docs for older
versions.  That’s all

Posted by Michael André Pearce <mi...@me.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.