Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Surbhi Gupta <su...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/04 16:28:25 UTC

Downgrading from 3.11.5 to 3.11.0

Hi,

As the SSTable file formats have changed from 3.11.4 to "md "
https://docs.datastax.com/en/landing_page/doc/landing_page/compatibility.html

We are going to take snapshots but still wanted to understand .
After we do upgrades stable when we upgrade from 3.11.0 to 3.11.5 , and
later in future if we found any issue , then can we downgrade to 3.11.0
with SSTable format "md" (we may not be able to restore from the snapshot
if time lapse is between upgrades is more) .

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Surbhi

Re: Downgrading from 3.11.5 to 3.11.0

Posted by Jürgen Albersdorfer <ja...@gmail.com>.
Wow, didn't recognize/expect such fundamental Change in a minor Version. -
But then I can at least say that I have a 21 Node production Cluster
running with all different Versions from 3.11.0 to 3.11.4.

Posted by Erick Ramirez <er...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Albersdorfer <ja...@gmail.com>.
Are you telling me that cassandra changes sstanle file format when updating from 3.11.4 to 3.11.5?

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Posted by Sandeep Nethi <ne...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Erick Ramirez <er...@datastax.com>.

Posted by Erick Ramirez <er...@datastax.com>.
Once you've upgraded to a version of Cassandra that uses a new SSTable
format, you cannot downgrade the binaries -- for whatever reason -- because
the older version of C* will not be able to read the SSTables using the old
format.

I'm more concerned that you think reverting to a .0 release is a better
option than addressing the issue in the newer version. ;) Cheers!

GOT QUESTIONS? Apache Cassandra experts from the community and DataStax
have answers! Share your expertise on https://community.datastax.com/.