Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/10 08:56:41 UTC

Perf test in apacheds

Hi guys,

right now, I have unit tests inside the main apacheds project, and I
have to @Ignore them to compile the full project, otherwise it consume
minutes. This is boring as I have to comment the @Ignore annotation when
I want to run the tests.

I consider creating two dedicated modules - one using coreSession and
another one with network - to run the performance tests.

Another option is to mix those tests with the existing tests, as it's
already done, but I like the idea of those separate modules. In this
case, the tests will be named xxxPTest.java, and we will use a special
maven profile to run them (the default is that *PTest are not executed).

What do you prefer ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com

Re: Perf test in apacheds

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
You guys talking about setting up a Maven profile that makes it so the
Client API switches the underlying implementation (provider) from using
CoreSession to using network access? Also this is only with respect to
performance tests I take it correct?

Firstly I think it is important to generate Java reports so we see how long
the tests take and perhaps run multiple passes on the same test using
different providers.  This should all be done in a Performance profile so it
does not chew up the build and take too much time.

Then when the tests run in both CoreSession mode and in Network mode you
just generate the test java documentation output in the form of test reports
as Maven does well and we can see all the statistics on performance this
way.

The only problem with this is how do we make it so the same test runs with
different providers.  I guess we can have a CorePeformance profile and a
NetworkPerformance profile.  Don't know what the best option is here.

Sorry about the top post.

Regards,
Alex

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org> wrote: