Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by Rachael Ludwick-Sandefer <rs...@mgbltd.com> on 2003/03/20 16:45:58 UTC

Xalan-C++ Documentation

Hey everyone!

When David posted about the 1.5 version freeze, he mentioned the need for more documentation (and updated documentation). I volunteered as a good way to get involved with Xalan development.

Although David said that he and Berin will be finishing the doc updates for this release, he did point out that there are plenty of other doc stuff that could be done: a user's guide, updating/expanding the FAQ, adding stuff to the usage, etc. But he also suggested that I ask the mailing lists for what people think is lacking in the documentation or could use improvement.

I was thinking about starting with the FAQ by expanding it (to start) with common questions asked about programming Xalan, since the list tends to get a lot of programming questions (by going through the list archives). I know I ended up asking a few questions when I first started using Xalan. :) But what other documentation would people like to see?

Rachael

Re: Xalan-C++ Documentation

Posted by Rachael Ludwick <r3...@vzavenue.net>.
Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@ozemail.com.au>.
Rachel,

Firstly - great stuff that you are picking up the dox!

One of the things I have noticed is that there is a lot on the basics
(e.g. how to create a transformer), but not a lot on the more intricate
stuff.  E.g. I found when I was playing with XPath that I had to do a
lot of reading of code to determine how to install an external function.

I wonder if it might be worth going through the example programs and
providing some details around them?  What does a FormatterListener do?
Why is it there, how does it work?

Don't know if that helps?

Cheers,
	Berin