Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by James Berrettini <ji...@jivesoftware.com> on 2003/03/18 16:53:13 UTC

Advice on Stop words

Hi,

I'm in the middle of a project to improve the Lucene functionality that
we've embedded in our products. What I'm looking for is a way to support
natural language queries (like AskJeeves, "Where can I . . . ?" ). This
generally seems to be done through a combination of stop words, thesaurus
entries, and stemming. All of this is doable within Lucene.

Does anyone know a good starting point for collections of stop words for
English analysers? Otis Gospodnetic published a list in his sample code for
his OnJava article
(http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/01/15/lucene.html, thanks Otis!).
Any other ideas?

Jim