Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2005/05/31 18:56:35 UTC

IRC Chat about tests and harness + question about nist failure

This  morning rather than talking about DERBY-213, Philip and I ended up
talking mostly about running tests.
He had tried to do a baseline derbyAll run and had hit  a bunch of
failures.   We looked a little at some of the failures and talked about
how some day soon someone will get fed up with the test harness and get
us set up with JUnit.  We mused on  who will get fed up first.

Here are some possibly useful  tips that emerged from our conversation.

     *  The test harness doc is at java/testing/README.htm
     *  When writing a test you need to use the standard mechanism for
obtaining connections, (ij.startJBMS instead of DriverManager)
    *  When debugging a test it is good to have a visual diff tool to
diff the test output with what is under the master directory.
    *   You can run individual tests  for a given framework with the
framework property.
e.g.
 embedded:
java   -Dij.exceptionTrace=true -Dkeepfiles=true
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest jdbcapi/resultset.java

JCC
java   -Dij.exceptionTrace=true -Dkeepfiles=true -Dframework=DerbyNet
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest jdbcapi/resultset.java

client
java   -Dij.exceptionTrace=true -Dkeepfiles=true
-Dframework=DerbyNetClient
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest jdbcapi/resultset.java

We looked at some failures in nist but were not ablet o resolve.

*** Start: schema5 jdk1.4.2_03 nist:nist 2005-05-31 05:12:04 ***
37a38
> ERROR 42611: The length, precision, or scale attribute for column, or
type ma
pping 'VARCHAR(33000)' is not valid.
107a109
> ERROR 42Z93: Constraints 'xxxxGENERATED-IDxxxx' and
'xxxxGENERATED-IDxxxx' ha
ve same set of columns, which is not allowed.
118a121
> ERROR 42X05: Table 'T0513' does not exist.
Test Failed.

I see those too when I run nist.  Does anyone else see this?

Kathey

Re: IRC Chat about tests and harness + question about nist failure

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:

>e.g.
> embedded:
>java   -Dij.exceptionTrace=true -Dkeepfiles=true
>org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest jdbcapi/resultset.java
>
>JCC
>java   -Dij.exceptionTrace=true -Dkeepfiles=true -Dframework=DerbyNet
>org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest jdbcapi/resultset.java
>
>client
>java   -Dij.exceptionTrace=true -Dkeepfiles=true
>-Dframework=DerbyNetClient
>org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest jdbcapi/resultset.java

These examples should not have the

 -Dij.exceptionTrace=true

It causes problems with the nist tests.

Re: IRC Chat about tests and harness + question about nist failure

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> This  morning rather than talking about DERBY-213, Philip and I ended up
> talking mostly about running tests.
> He had tried to do a baseline derbyAll run and had hit  a bunch of
> failures.   We looked a little at some of the failures and talked about
> how some day soon someone will get fed up with the test harness and get
> us set up with JUnit.  We mused on  who will get fed up first.

Me :-)
http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/derby/code/branches/datasource/src/test/org/apache/derby/api/ParsingTest.java?rev=178044&view=markup

--
Jeremy

Re: IRC Chat about tests and harness + question about nist failure

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

>Kathey Marsden wrote:
>

>>We looked at some failures in nist but were not ablet o resolve.
>>

>I'm not seeing that and neither is the testing run by Sun.
>
>I'm actually about to commit some cleanup of the property files for the
>nist suite. Any more details about your environment?

This was user error and comes from using the   -Dij.exceptionTrace=true
property when running the nist suite.
That used to work ok, but apparently became problematic at some point.
I took out -Dij.exceptionTrace=true and now nist passes.

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:

> We looked at some failures in nist but were not ablet o resolve.
>
> *** Start: schema5 jdk1.4.2_03 nist:nist 2005-05-31 05:12:04 ***

> Test Failed.
>
> I see those too when I run nist.  Does anyone else see this?

I'm not seeing that and neither is the testing run by Sun.

I'm actually about to commit some cleanup of the property files for the
nist suite. Any more details about your environment?

Dan.