Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Scott Walters <sc...@integra-online.com> on 2003/01/17 19:44:41 UTC

ant as a workflow engine

I'm in the process of architecting a rewrite of our external system
interface modules.  In general, these modules extract specific data from
our database, send it somewhere, poll for a response and then import the
response back into the database.  They do this with several vendors,
each with their own data requirments and transport mechanisms.

There's a lot of code reuse possibilities since many of the vendors use
very similar data formats and HTTP POST transport mechanisms.

Given this, I'm seriously considering implementing the individual pieces
of this project as ant tasks and processing each request by
programatically invoking a build script that controls the execution of
these tasks.  Requests would come into a servlet, which would invoke the
ant script in a new thread, specifying the ant target that implements
the particular interface requested.

I'm certainly no ant expert, however.  All I've done is create some
fairly simple scripts to build and jar java code.  My specific questions
are...

1)  Can I pipe the xml output of one task into the next task without
using a file?

2)  Do tasks within a target always run in the order they're specified
in the build script?

Any other advice or comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Scott

Re: ant as a workflow engine

Posted by Scott Walters <sc...@integra-online.com>.
Thanks for all the info.  I've been experimenting with writing ant
tasks, and I'm starting to think that it's a great framework for what
I'm trying to do.  While I agree that maven would probably be better, I
could never get even the simplest build script to work after hours of
trying.  I tried the mailing list and the response was prompt but
ultimately not helpful.  I may try it again in a few months.  I looked
at the workflow commons project briefly but since there's no real docs
for it, I'd have to work with the source extensively to gauge it's
capabilities and I don't really have a lot of time.

Scott

Re: ant as a workflow engine

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.