Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by George Kirkham <gk...@co2crc.com.au> on 2012/07/17 06:02:23 UTC

RE: Ubuntu Install Guide Update - update-rc.d red5 defaults

Tom, Steve,

Stephen’s installation instructions say to run “update-rc.d red5 defaults” to allow the script to be run when the server starts up,  but my script was not compliant so this step failed.  My apologises.  I have now updated my script so that  “update-rc.d red5 defaults” will work, but you may want to do a “update-rc.d -f red5 remove” first to remove any previous configuration.

Openmeetings does work running as nobody if all is configured that way.

You can run OpenMeetings in a variety of ways, but for security reasons the supported method is to run  the /usr/lib/red5/red5.sh script as nobody,  as per the instructions. Please run OpenMeetings as per the instructions, where the instructions don’t work please report the issues so they can be fixed.

And you were correct, the /etc/init.d/red5 script has to be run as root, just like all the other scripts in that folder.  The /etc/init.d/red5 script will start the red5 server running as the user nobody, if it is configured this way.

NB: It is possible to run red5 on other port numbers than port 5080 but if you use a port below 1024 then you do need to run OpenMeetings using a root account.

See these sites for further details;

http://www.debianadmin.com/manage-linux-init-or-startup-scripts.html

To restate, Stephen’s installation instructions state;

update-rc.d red5 defaults

And when run against my previous red5 script;

root@om64u-1:/home/itsupport# update-rc.d red5 defaults

update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/red5 missing LSB information

update-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>

System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/red5 already exist.

Sadly my red5.ubuntu did not past the requirements for a start up script so I have had to modify it.

http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts  states “LSB-compliant init scripts need to:

    provide, at least, the following actions: start, stop, restart, force-reload, and status”

After making a change to my red5 script, I had to remove any previous configurations

# update-rc.d -f red5 remove

And then I could use update-rc.d to register my script to be run when the server starts.

Thanks,

George Kirkham

Posted by Tom Judge <ju...@learnubuntu.org>.
Ok george I installed the new scrip using the new user nobody
curious but I could not find the difference in your script. I am
curious, could u point it out later. I was looking for the force-reload
section as it appeared you had all of the others mentioned in the wiki.

reset permissions on the /usr/lib/red5 to be owned by nobody recursively

chown -R nobody /usr/lib/red5

FYI the issue I was having was not so much the script starting red5 but
the inability to upload anything which seemed to be permissions related.
I say that because if I start the red5 with the /usr/lib/re5.sh as root
I can do uploads of video clips, office docs and the record test also
works

I did the update-rc.d -f red5 remove and then update-rc.d red5 defaults
without any of the previous errors, which is a good sign

OK so now with the new scrip installed, computer rebooted here is what
we have:

root@openmeeting:/home/judget# /etc/init.d/red5 checkports
tcp6       0      0 :::1935                 :::*
LISTEN      862/java
tcp6       0      0 :::9999                 :::*
LISTEN      862/java
tcp6       0      0 :::8088                 :::*
LISTEN      862/java
tcp6       0      0 :::5080                 :::*
LISTEN      862/java
tcp6       0      0 :::58683                :::*
LISTEN      862/java
tcp6       0      0 127.0.0.1:60071         127.0.0.1:3306
ESTABLISHED 862/java
root@openmeeting:/home/judget# /etc/init.d/red5 status
start-stop-daemon: unrecognized option '--status'
Try 'start-stop-daemon --help' for more information.
$red5 is not running
root@openmeeting:/home/judget# /etc/init.d/red5 stop

root@openmeeting:/home/judget# /etc/init.d/red5 start

root@openmeeting:/home/judget# /etc/init.d/red5 checkports
tcp6       0      0 :::1935                 :::*
LISTEN      2061/java
tcp6       0      0 :::9999                 :::*
LISTEN      2061/java
tcp6       0      0 :::60633                :::*
LISTEN      2061/java
tcp6       0      0 127.0.0.1:9999          127.0.0.1:58190
ESTABLISHED 2061/java
tcp6       0      0 127.0.1.1:56762         127.0.1.1:60633
ESTABLISHED 2061/java
tcp6       0      0 127.0.0.1:58190         127.0.0.1:9999
ESTABLISHED 2061/java
tcp6       0      0 127.0.1.1:60633         127.0.1.1:56762
ESTABLISHED 2061/java
tcp6       0      0 192.168.0.20:41727      64.95.112.228:80
ESTABLISHED 2061/java
root@openmeeting:/home/judget# /etc/init.d/red5 status
start-stop-daemon: unrecognized option '--status'
Try 'start-stop-daemon --help' for more information.
$red5 is not running

hmmmmmmmm interresting because it certainly is running as the checkports
shows

anyway I changed all the permissions back, installed your updated script
and now the uploads seem to be working correctly, go-figure?? last night
it appeared to be a permissions issue and today everything is ok except
for the /etc/init.d/red5 status not returning the proper response

I will look for you tonight (your morning) on your server. And thanks
for your help. This init scripting is an area of keen interest to me as
I want to include this in my Ubuntu Basic Administration  course . Again
I extend my offer to you to participate in that as your time may allow.