Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by re...@oracle.com on 2019/10/25 15:48:35 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer

Hi

Artifacts are available here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/11.2-vc1

Built locally from release112 branch using JDK 1.8 on macOS 10.13.6:

Primary voting artifact:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/11.2-vc1/Apache-NetBeans-11.2-bin-macosx.dmg

SHA512:

7cde2e5ff1fe2125ff0446b1cd663172eb64db4d852b6cbc265ce33b0eb2ce30b4f4bb632ce8860ce1a16c2127858f45391518b6e8fcfe32ea534d32f24769f8
Apache-NetBeans-11.2-bin-macosx.dmg

KEYS file:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/netbeans/KEYS

Installer build steps:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Installer+Build+Steps

Please check that the artifact functions correctly and has been
correctly signed by a PMC member.

This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and -1
as usual.

Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're an Apache NetBeans PMC
member.

Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer will be released if and when this
vote passes.

Thanks,

Reema

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
I can confirm that dragging the .pkg out of the .dmg means you can avoid holding Option when selecting Open from the context menu. However, that’s still an unusual install sequence. Both the copying out and the fact that you must use the context menu.

Even with clear instructions on the download page, the procedure is strange enough that it will be a problem.  We should also avoid normalizing the avoidance of macOS security procedures.

Scott

Posted by Code Zombie <co...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Code Zombie <co...@gmail.com>.
Actually download is slow and non-resumable which makes the voting process
harder.

-Mehdi

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Code Zombie <co...@gmail.com>.
The download speed for the artifacts is quite slow, never going beyond
60kB/s. Is that expected or varies depending on region?

- Mehdi

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
I would change my vote to +0.5 so it's more clear for tally.

Because I cannot check on macos but I still want to participate to at last the basic review and that's the maximum I can do.

Regards
Eric

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 6:39 PM <re...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This came up during last release, I had raised an infra ticket for
> notarization - INFRA-18790
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-18790>, but it failed with
> a long list of errors.
>
> This needs investigation, I haven't been able to get to it yet.

They seem to have relaxed things, so maybe trying again would bring better
results:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/03/apple-macos-catalina-notarization-mac-apps/

Gj

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 17:39, <re...@oracle.com> wrote:
> So, I agree with Geertjan's suggestion to add note that installer works
> for 10.13.x and 10.14.x macOS releases and is pending notarization that
> is required for 10.15.x release.

Sounds good!  It look like from that issue link that a number of
native binaries might need recompiling.  It would be interesting to
know if the newer JNA in 11.2 removes that one from the list.  Still,
macOS users should be getting used to seeing these notarization error
messages by now judging from the number of complaints I've seen! :-\
As well as the note, we should give the instructions for bypassing the
check on 10.15.

Thanks and best wishes,

Neil

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer

Posted by David Green <dg...@gmail.com>.
Agree.

--
Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse any typos.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer

Posted by Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>.
That may depend on the specific os version. It did not work for me without
doing so.

Carl

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer

Posted by Code Zombie <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>.
Scott,

I understood that the option was no longer available but I just tried it
using the procedure you outlined and it was successful.

Yes, I would think that *most* MacOS users are not aware that this option
is currently available as I have read conflicting reports.

Carl

Carl J. Mosca

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>.
To be clear, I was/am not able to use the installer at all.  I have not
been able to get around the notarization issue.

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 2:51 PM Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It actually requires special knowledge and steps to install on macOS 10.15
> without the notarization.
>
> By default there is no option to continue with the install.  You must know
> to open it while holding the Option key only then will there be an option
> to ignore the warning and continue.
>
> The notarizing process is supposed to be quick. I don’t have an Apple
> developer ID, so I don’t know for sure.
>
> Scott
>
> > On Oct 28, 2019, at 2:12 PM, Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 6:56 PM Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Meaning the installer does not work if you have the latest/current
> release
> >> of the OS running.
> >>

> > 'But you can ignore it. "Run anyway" so to speak. It's not that it blocks
> > you, it just warns you and makes it more steps to run potentially harmful
> > software. Anything executed from command line will execute like normal,
> and
> > I believe also if you alt-click and select open.'
> >

> https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/03/apple-macos-catalina-notarization-mac-apps/
> >
> > Gj

> with

> >> been
> >>>>

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__developer.apple.com_documentation_security_notarizing-5Fyour-5Fapp-5Fbefore-5Fdistribution&d=DwIBaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=I_-Y15BecdUmuYLJbvbi0hFUs7JgHZnV_jPFSP8DQF0&m=AU5axCXNKWDQypYO5D1OcvSHUynS_-Wl1_0S-laIHDc&s=e05RMNxX87RB32yCeA9JWFLooi2yfatEqICXh-ffoTw&e=

> notarization.
> >> should

> >> dist.

> >> all
> >> installers!),
> >> built

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__cwiki.apache.org_confluence_display_NETBEANS_Mailing-2Blists&d=DwIBaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=I_-Y15BecdUmuYLJbvbi0hFUs7JgHZnV_jPFSP8DQF0&m=AU5axCXNKWDQypYO5D1OcvSHUynS_-Wl1_0S-laIHDc&s=XYqudrqPACu1wB_McTbfOCSjE5P-TWycb2BM7SRC_8Y&e=

> >> --
> >> Carl J. Mosca

Carl J. Mosca

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Yes, known issue with catalogs, with a PR for 11.3. This has nothing at all
to do with the installer, which is what you’re voting on here. To continue
on this discussion, start a new thread, please — but if the installer
installs and the other checks described at the start of this thread
succeed, you must vote +1.

Gj

Posted by John Kostaras <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>.

--
Carl J. Mosca

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer

Posted by re...@oracle.com.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>.
+1 (changed from -1)

--
Carl J. Mosca

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer

Posted by Carl Mosca <ca...@gmail.com>.
-1
 "Can't be opened because Apple cannot check for malicious software"

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 6:26 AM Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 at 09:54, Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Sha512 and key from Reema is ok it means this can be released on dist.
> > Not functional is another point. But Reema can cancel if tester on MacOS
> found issue.
>
> Distribution on dist requires more than that, and we also discussed
> requiring more ourselves.  The wording that was discussed, that I
> thought you said you agreed with, said that all voters must verify all
> checksums and keys (including the additional keys in the installers!),
> check they function, and verify that they only install artefacts built
> from the released sources.  I don't see any point in voting on
> binaries if we're not requiring checks on all those things that the
> PMC must check.
>
> Anyway, let's not hijack the vote thread further on this.
>
> I'd like to hear Reema's opinion on pulling and re-voting on macOS
> installers because of the notarization issue though.
>
> Thanks and best wishes,
>
> Neil

Carl J. Mosca

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
+1 binding
Pgp / sha512 ok

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
Seems to check out:

pkgutil --check-signature /Volumes/Apache\ NetBeans\ 11.2/Apache\ NetBeans\ 11.2.pkg                             scott@Scotts-MacBook-Pro
Package "Apache NetBeans 11.2.pkg":
   Certificate Chain:
    1. Developer ID Installer: The Apache Software Foundation (2GLGAFWEQD)
       SHA256 Fingerprint:
           2F E6 F2 85 F3 CD 55 CC 9E 7D BD C2 7A D6 6A 67 1A CA A9 CC 0B 28
           11 F2 BF F7 0A 09 4D B4 68 F9
    2. Developer ID Certification Authority
       SHA256 Fingerprint:
           7A FC 9D 01 A6 2F 03 A2 DE 96 37 93 6D 4A FE 68 09 0D 2D E1 8D 03
           F2 9C 88 CF B0 B1 BA 63 58 7F
    3. Apple Root CA
       SHA256 Fingerprint:
           B0 B1 73 0E CB C7 FF 45 05 14 2C 49 F1 29 5E 6E DA 6B CA ED 7E 2C
           68 C5 BE 91 B5 A1 10 01 F0 24

So it must be something else.. Perhaps the notarization as Neil suggests.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Green <dg...@gmail.com>.
I think this applies
https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=09032019a

Dave

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding...verified signature and installs without issue.

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/us/search?query=Juneau
<https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866>

Posted by Leonardo Loch Zanivan <le...@gmail.com>.
+1 install and basic checks in both MacOS 10.13.3 and 10.14.6.

*Leonardo Zanivan *  <http://us.linkedin.com/in/leonardozanivan>
<http://twitter.com/leonardopanga>

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 12:56 PM <re...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Artifacts are available here:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/11.2-vc1
>
> Built locally from release112 branch using JDK 1.8 on macOS 10.13.6:
>
> Primary voting artifact:
>

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/netbeans/netbeans/11.2-vc1/Apache-NetBeans-11.2-bin-macosx.dmg
>
> SHA512:
>
> 7cde2e5ff1fe2125ff0446b1cd663172eb64db4d852b6cbc265ce33b0eb2ce30b4f4bb632ce8860ce1a16c2127858f45391518b6e8fcfe32ea534d32f24769f8
>
> Apache-NetBeans-11.2-bin-macosx.dmg
>
> KEYS file:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/netbeans/KEYS
>
> Installer build steps:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Installer+Build+Steps
>
> Please check that the artifact functions correctly and has been
> correctly signed by a PMC member.
>
> This vote is going to be open at least 72 hours, vote with +1, 0, and -1
> as usual.
>
> Please mark your vote with (binding) if you're an Apache NetBeans PMC
> member.
>
> Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer will be released if and when this
> vote passes.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Reema

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer

Posted by re...@oracle.com.
Hi,

Thanks everyone,

Vote is now closed for Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 MacOS Installer,
with a result of  6 +1 binding votes and 4 +1 votes from community members.

+1 Binding votes

Geerjan Wielenga

Josh Juneau

Leonardo Zanivan

John Mcdonnell

Constantin Drabo

James Gosling

+1 Community votes

Carl Mosca

Mehdi

David Green

Michael Bar-sina

I have started moving artifacts to release area.

Thanks,

Reema

Posted by James Gosling <ja...@norquay.com>.
+1 The install went smoothly for me too.  I haven’t been able to break it.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 11.2 macOS Installer

Posted by David Green <dg...@gmail.com>.
+1