Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com> on 2016/01/06 20:01:28 UTC

Trafodion test environment

Well folks, it looks like the new test environment is now running really
well, actually better/faster than the old environment.

The initial reliability problem bringing up Hadoop on HDP nodes was solved
with a little retry logic in the bring up script.

The first full nightly test suffered from queueing/resource issue, where
test jobs waiting for debug build gave up before the build ran.  A little
configuration tweaking resolved that.  As we see in the results below,
everything passed except a few test-cases in the hive suite on HDP node.

Besides running on the AWS platform, the other main difference is that VM
instances for both build and test jobs are created as needed to serve jobs,
and are terminated if no jobs are waiting, if they sit idle for more than
short time.

I'm currently implementing a scheme to retain the disk volumes for the
terminated instances, just in case we need to bring the instances back up to
debug failures.  It is much more cost effective to retain the storage
volumes for a time than to retain the running VMs.  Even so, they will only
be retained a relatively short time, a day or two.

--Steve