Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Vineet Bhatia <vi...@mac.com> on 2003/05/07 00:12:21 UTC

Code for AddHiddenParameter()

This is referring to a old post I found in the archives.

http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg01446.html

Basically I am (like any other web developer) trying to solve the universal
problem of maintaining state across pages (actions).

I am looking at the option of passing information in html hidden variables.

I searched the archives and found that someone had created a helper method
to handle this.

>From the old post - posted by roland huss (consol.de)

Hidden Parameters. Our extension of Action has an
  "addHiddenParameter()" method which put hidden parameters into
  request scope which our subclassed FormTag renders as
  HTML-Tags. With this method it is very easy to push parameters around
  to several actions (without polluting session scope).

Anyone know if this was contributed to struts?

Thanks in advance.
- vineet

Re: Code for AddHiddenParameter()

Posted by Vineet Bhatia <vi...@mac.com>.
Nevermind. Found it in scaffold.

Friendly method to render hidden html fields

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-commons-sandbox/scaffold/src/java/org/
apache/commons/scaffold/text/ConvertUtils.java?rev=1.8&content-type=text/vnd
.viewcvs-markup

    /**
     * Returns parameters as a series of hidden HTML fields.
     */
    public static String renderHiddenFields(Map parameters) {

        if ((null==parameters) || (parameters.isEmpty())) return new
String();

        StringBuffer html = new StringBuffer();
        Set entries = parameters.entrySet();
        for (Iterator i = entries.iterator(); i.hasNext(); ) {
            html.append("<input type='hidden' name='");
            Entry e = (Entry) i.next();
            html.append(e.getKey());
            html.append("' value='");
            html.append(e.getValue());