Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by jw...@speakeasy.net on 2005/07/14 18:21:37 UTC

Re: How can I help?

Hi Geoff,

I haven't forgotten you or the test cases.  I am actually getting an eclipse environment going and will come up to speed on Spindle and Tapestry 4 so I can contribute.  I haven't actually used Spindle before, I have been a "true-grit" VI kind of dude for the most part.  It will be good karma for me to get involved with the GUI stuff.

The email thread about the Future of Tapestry has been interesting.  I'm glad Howard clarified things but even before I wasn't too concerned.  What developer doesn't pine about "If I could start clean I would do such and such".

A BIG advantage of Tapestry in the real world is that it is Java.  If I can tell my employers that it is "J2EE" technology, thats usually good enough.  Furthermore, I have been able to mix-and match Tapestry and JSP/Servlets allowing new Tapestry pages to exist alongside JSP pages with a shared session.  This capability is huge.  While Rubye, Python  etc. are definitely cool and may offer advantages over Java, Java is often an easier sell.

Jim Wilkerson