Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by David Loy <da...@ucop.edu> on 2001/08/30 20:19:13 UTC

numeric entities

I am new to this list. Sorry if this has been covered before

Because netscape 4.x does not support several character entities (e.g.
&ldquo;), I would like to restrict the html output of my xslt scripts to
only numeric entities when processing xml. Is there any method for doing
this as an xslt or configuration parameter.

Any suggestion would be terrific.

Thanks
David Loy

Re: numeric entities

Posted by David Loy <da...@ucop.edu>.
I'm currently using cocoon 1.8 running on tomcat 3.2.1.

The UTF-8 characters were imbedded in the source XML. I have replaced them
with the numeric entity. Both give the same result - the named (character)
entity appears in the generated HTML. As I understand the process, the HTML
is generated as a final step and all non-displayable characters are
converted to one form of entity or another in the HTML.

There may be a way to convert the special characters in the XML to an
escaped  form that can be passed without conversion all the way through. I
would like to avoid that if possible. I'm hoping there is some attribute of
xsl:output or  a cocooon option that would allow the characters to be kept
in the original form (UTF-8 or numeric entity) but only the output
representation to HTML would be affected. I have a feeling there's
something very obvious that I'm missing.
Thanks
David

Re: numeric entities

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@managingpartners.com>.