Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Al Stu <Al...@SimonSlick.com> on 2007/09/23 04:12:52 UTC

java.lang.IllegalThreadStateException

I am receiving the following when shutting down the James Mail Server 2.3.1 service on WinXP (Wrapper Version 3.2.0).  What do I need to do to correct this?  Thanks.

INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/09/22 18:25:57 | Shutting down Phoenix.
INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/09/22 18:25:59 | org.apache.avalon.phoenix.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleException: Component named "thread-manager" failed to pass through the Destruction stage. (Reason: java.lang.IllegalThreadStateException).
    .
    .
    .
INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/09/22 18:25:59 |  at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/09/22 18:25:59 | Caused by: java.lang.IllegalThreadStateException
INFO   | jvm 1    | 2007/09/22 18:25:59 |  at java.lang.ThreadGroup.destroy(Unknown Source)
    .
    .
    .
STATUS | wrapper  | 2007/09/22 18:26:00 | <-- Wrapper Stopped

Re: running James as a service

Posted by Ian Lewis <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hey Hillel,

I think you can do it with the supplied phoenix.sh script. Though it's
doesn't work really well with the chkconfig so you have to add some
comments to it like so:

#chkconfig: 2345 80 05

then make a symbolic link in the /etc/init.d/ directory:

cd /etc/init.d/
ln -s /path/to/james/bin/phoenix.sh james

Then test it:

./james console

then add it as a service:

chkconfig --add james

I just did this myself and I had some problems with james not having
the JAVA_HOME variable set at boot time so you might run into
something like that yourself. The phoenix.sh also doesn't support the
status command so the status window prints an error message in the
services manager but that's not a big deal since start and stop work
ok.

Good luck,

Ian

2007/9/30, Hillel <hi...@ecommunicate.biz>:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a script that they are prepared to share so we can run
> James as a service on Redhat Linux to enable us to start/stop James using
> the service commands.
> So then to start James you would type: service james start
> To stop James you would type: service james stop
>
> And so on, you can also link it to the Linux services and when the server
> starts it will start James and when it stops it will take down James.
>
> Thanks

Ian Lewis
ianlewis@member.fsf.org
http://www.ianlewis.org/
http://jsxe.sourceforge.net

running James as a service

Re: java.lang.IllegalThreadStateException

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
This is a "known" issue and it should not harm you.
We never found the time to investigate the problem.

Stefano