Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Phil Dyer <ph...@dyermaker.org> on 2006/03/05 23:39:21 UTC

ignoring a directory named spool

I have source tree that has a directory in it named "spool". I'd like to
 ignore this directory using global-ignores or svn:ignore, but I'm not
having any luck.

The spool directory in the tree makes it hard to ignore file patterns,
so global-ignores seems to be out. It contains a lot of files with
timestamp suffixes and such.   And when I try:

svn propset svn:ignore spool

I get

svn: Explicit target required ('spool' interpreted as prop value)

clue bat, please.

phil

Re: ignoring a directory named spool

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.
>> Try this
>> svn propset svn:ignore "yes" spool
>
> Um... no. The value of svn:ignore is the list of file patterns to
> ignore. See:

Aiee.. brain fart on my part.  I got muddled up with another recent
message that had the same error message where they had forgotten to put in
the path when setting a property.

--
Sly

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: ignoring a directory named spool

Posted by Phil Dyer <ph...@dyermaker.org>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote on 3/6/2006 4:26 AM:
> On Mar 6, 2006, at 01:09, Steve Williams wrote:

>> The biggest clue-bat is to try "svn help propset".  This will tell
>> you, along with the above error message, that you omitted to
>> provide a value for the property, so it is taking "spool" to the
>> property value, and therefore there is no path provided.
>>
>> Try this
>> svn propset svn:ignore "yes" spool
>
> Um... no. The value of svn:ignore is the list of file patterns to
> ignore. See:

[snip]...

Thanks, Ryan! You explained it perfectly.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 6, 2006, at 01:09, Steve Williams wrote:

>> I have source tree that has a directory in it named "spool". I'd
>> like to
>> ignore this directory using global-ignores or svn:ignore, but I'm not
>> having any luck.
>>
>> The spool directory in the tree makes it hard to ignore file
>> patterns,
>> so global-ignores seems to be out. It contains a lot of files with
>> timestamp suffixes and such.   And when I try:
>>
>> svn propset svn:ignore spool
>>
>> I get
>>
>> svn: Explicit target required ('spool' interpreted as prop value)
>>
>> clue bat, please.
>
> The biggest clue-bat is to try "svn help propset".  This will tell
> you, along with the above error message, that you omitted to
> provide a value for the property, so it is taking "spool" to the
> property value, and therefore there is no path provided.
>
> Try this
> svn propset svn:ignore "yes" spool

Um... no. The value of svn:ignore is the list of file patterns to
ignore. See:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.3.3

So you have two options, depending on whether you want the spool
directory itself to be in version control and have its contents
ignored, or whether you want the directory itself ignored as well.

If you want the former, create the directory, add it, then set the
svn:ignore property of that directory to '*' to ignore everything in it.

$ svn mkdir spool
$ svn propset svn:ignore '*' spool
$ svn ci -m 'Adding "spool" and ignoring its contents.'

If you want the latter, do not add the directory, but rather set the
svn:ignore property of the parent directory to 'spool'.

$ mkdir spool
$ svn propset svn:ignore 'spool' .
$ svn ci -m 'Ignoring a directory called "spool".'

If you had already added the spool directory but now realize you did
not want to, but want to preserve its contents, you can fix it this way:

$ svn export spool spool-tmp
$ svn rm spool
$ svn ci -m 'Removing inadvertently added directory "spool".'
$ mv spool-tmp spool

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.