Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Ryan Nicholson <rn...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/31 21:21:25 UTC

[FlightRPC] Add a "Flight SQL" extension on top of FlightRPC

Hello everyone,

I would like to propose the following specification to ease adoption of SQL
based clients and backends while leveraging data streams for transporting
data. This specification entails a series of protobuf messages to be used
in the opaque messaging framework payloads to enable browsing of database
metadata and statement style operations with scaffolding available to
help implementers provide logic for their backend.

Please take a look at the following material:

   - ARROW-9825 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-9825> has more
   details around the goals of the proposal.
   - Flight SQL Proposal
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WQz32bDF06GgMdEYyzhakqUigBZkALFwDF2y1x3DTAI/edit?usp=sharing>
is
   a more detailed document describing new messages and how they would be used.
   - https://github.com/ryannicholson/arrow/pull/2 on my Arrow fork shows a
   sample implementation with a catalog browsing action and a prepared
   statement query workflow. There are details in the proposal linking to
   specific areas of the PR.

Thank you for your time,
Ryan Nicholson

Re: [FlightRPC] Add a "Flight SQL" extension on top of FlightRPC

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Tiffany,

I was just curious about the status of the FlightSQL proposal. Given
that the 4.0.0 development cycle will be concluding soon, it doesn't
seem FlightSQL will make it, but is there interest in trying to get it
into 5.0.0?

Similarly, there was the related effort to expand Flight's auth
capabilities which also seems to have been inactive lately - is there
anything we can do to help keep that moving forward as well?

Best,
David

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Tiffany,

Great! Thanks for the update, I'll take another look today.

Best,
David

Posted by Hoi Ling Tiffany Lam <ti...@gmail.com>.
HI David,

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Ryan et. al.,

Posted by Ryan Nicholson <rn...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Wes,

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Grove <an...@nvidia.com>.
Sure, I can look at this in the next day or two and will provide feedback.

Thanks,

Andy.

    External email: Use caution opening links or attachments

Posted by Ryan Nicholson <rn...@gmail.com>.
Hello Andy and Wes,

Posted by Andy Grove <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com>.