Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/12/05 10:46:11 UTC

[SHOWSTOPPER?] Mixed sessions

Hi,

we have several reports that under some cicumstances it
seems that sessions are mixed. It seems that under
heavy load a user A might get the session of user B.
Now generally I would call this a showstopper for
the 2.0.4 release.

Unfortunately we don't have a reproducable test case
for this - does anyone have one?
Or are these problems not related to Cocoon but
to any third party components?

I suggest that as long as the reason for this
problem is not found, we should delay the release.

What do you think?

Thanks
Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler
Open Source Group, S&N AG

RE: [SHOWSTOPPER?] Mixed sessions

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Thanks Carsten. :-D

My environment is:

Server Hardware:
Pentium III aprox. 500Mhz. (I am sure this is not slower).
RAM: 384 MB
HD: 10 GB.
Please note that this server only host Cocoon nothing more. There is no
running other task or something similar process. The computer was
installed from a clear disk to run the Cocoon Application.

Server Software:
OS: Red Hat Linux 8.0 (lastest updates)
Java: J2SDK 1.4.1_01
Servelt Engine: Apache Tomcat 4.1.12
XML Framework: Cocoon 2.1. CVS from 4-Dic-2002 (aprox. 5:00 a.m. CST)
Database: PostgreSQL 7.2.2 (that comes with Red Hat Linux 8.0)

Note: We installed Gnome (GUI) to make easier the install, but the server
start in text mode (level 3). Of course we can start GUI from a user
session.

Clients use mainly MS Windows version 95/98/Me/2000/XP
also there are some clients running on Linux :-)

Client Browsers: MS IE from version 5.0 to 6.0 SP1.
Also: Some Mozilla 1.0.1, Konqueror 3.0.x and Nautilus.

As you can see this is also a fine "test" enviroment for Cocoon.

I have a meet with the users in a hour. When this will end I will post
what happened yesterday. I croos my fingers because I want Cocoon pass the
yesterday test. :-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

PS: I know that my english is very poor, but I am glad that you got my
message in the correct way. ;-)

Carsten Ziegeler dijo:

[GOOD NEWS] - RE: [SHOWSTOPPER?] Mixed sessions

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
GOOD NEWS!!

The yesterday update of the Cocoon engine works fine all the day. I will
does not change it for a week to see how it works!

Then the problem was the same with the multhreading.

Well done!

I hope today will sleep :-D.

Antonio Gallardo.

Carsten Ziegeler dijo:

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> >Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> >

> >>Is it problem with 2.1 or 2.0.4? If with 2.1, why 2.0.4 release
> >>is affected?
> >>

> >It's a problem with both.
> >

> Gotcha.
>
> Is it due to your recent fixes in env/env stack/etc?

Yes/No - depends :)

Ok, more precisly: With the fixes the environment stack handling
seems to work perfectly now :) - but unfortunately there seem
to be other parts not related to the fixes which now break
because they are running with a working environment.

After some investigations from Volker and his crew it seems
that the problem lies in the extra thread handling of the
portal engine. For each coplet a sub thread is started.
He will report on this as soon as he has results - I
currently started with a solution on this and if this is
really the problem, we can make the release tomorrow at last.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>

>>Is it problem with 2.1 or 2.0.4? If with 2.1, why 2.0.4 release
>>is affected?
>>

>It's a problem with both.

Gotcha.

Is it due to your recent fixes in env/env stack/etc?

Vadim

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Is it problem with 2.1 or 2.0.4? If with 2.1, why 2.0.4 release
> is affected?

It's a problem with both.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Hi Antonio,

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >we have several reports that under some cicumstances it
> >seems that sessions are mixed. It seems that under
> >heavy load a user A might get the session of user B.
> >Now generally I would call this a showstopper for
> >the 2.0.4 release.
> >
> >Unfortunately we don't have a reproducable test case
> >for this - does anyone have one?
> >Or are these problems not related to Cocoon but
> >to any third party components?
> >
> >I suggest that as long as the reason for this
> >problem is not found, we should delay the release.
> >
> >What do you think?
> >

> I guess you're referring to the "[Authentication] - User with mixed
> Sessions" thread on cocoon-users, right ?
>
> This problem is IMO more related to proxy configuration than to Cocoon,
> at it seems that the proxy doesn't distinguish requests having different
> session cookies.

No unfortunately not, I refer to the mail from Greg and to some discussions
with Volker (of list) - and they both seem to have problems with mixed
sessions.
So it seems that there is a real problem.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.