Posted to commits@spamassassin.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2015/05/21 17:14:27 UTC

[Spamassassin Wiki] Update of "DnsBlocklists" by dax

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Spamassassin Wiki" for change notification.

The "DnsBlocklists" page has been changed by dax:
https://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/DnsBlocklists?action=diff&rev1=78&rev2=79

Comment:
removed dead links, changed spamhaus to zen

  === Black Lists ===
  Support for the following DNSBLs is built-in, and shipped in the default configuration.

-  * '''AHBL''' http://www.ahbl.org/ <<BR>>
-
-  * '''NJABL'''  http://www.njabl.org/ <<BR>>
-
   * '''SORBS'''  http://www.sorbs.net/ <<BR>>

   * '''SPAMCOP''' http://www.spamcop.net/ <<BR>>

-  * '''Spamhaus PBL+SBL+XBL''' http://www.spamhaus.org/ NOTE: ''Spamhaus is enabled as a "free for most" provider.''  See: http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html. <<BR>>
+  * '''Spamhaus ZEN''' http://www.spamhaus.org/zen/ NOTE: ''Spamhaus is enabled as a "free for most" provider.''  See: http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html. <<BR>>

   * '''SURBL''' http://www.surbl.org/ NOTE: ''SURBL is enabled as a "free for most" provider.''  See: http://www.surbl.org/usage-policy. <<BR>>

-  * '''Trend Micro''' http://www.mailabuse.org/ NOTE: ''Mail Abuse aka MAPS is now TrendMicro Email Reputation Services aka RBL+.  This is a commercial product and is no longer enabled by default.'' <<BR>>
-
   * '''URIBL''' http://www.uribl.com/ NOTE: ''URIBL is enabled as a "free for most" provider.'' See: http://www.uribl.com/about.shtml. <<BR>>

- === Policy Lists ===
- The following DNSBLs are not specifically about spam, but instead about sites which break net policies and conventions... practices which are often associated with spammers.
-
-  * '''Combined Bogon IP/Hijacked IP/Invalid Whois/'''  http://www.completewhois.com/bogons/index.htm <<BR>>

  === Whitelists ===
  The following DNS checks are actually for WHITE lists, or sites which are certified by someone to be a reasonable sender.
@@ -44, +34 @@

   * '''ISIPP Accreditation Database''' (IADB) http://www.isipp.com/email-accreditation/

- == Accuracy ==
- Live accuracy figures for most of the DNSBLs used in SpamAssassin, based on the Oct 2003 mail feed for one user, can be found [[http://taint.org/2003/11/07/184247a_mail.html|here]].<<BR>>

  == Other Lists ==
  Other places to find out about DNS blacklists / blocklists:

-  * Spamlinks http://spamlinks.net/filter-dnsbl.htm
-
   * Dr. Jørgen Mash's DNS database list checker http://moensted.dk/spam/

   * List of All Known DNS-based Spam Databases (blacklists) http://www.declude.com/junkmail/support/ip4r.htm
-
-  * Current Blacklist Comparison (note: no statistics for false positive rates) http://www.sdsc.edu/~jeff/spam/cbc.html

   * Wikipedia on DNSBLs http://wikipedia.org/wiki/DNSBL

@@ -64, +48 @@

  Note that it's extremely important to compare false positive rates (nonspam messages marked as spam), as well as spam hit-rates, when evaluating any anti-spam system, include DNS blocklists.  (For example, a blocklist that returned a match for every single mail would 'catch all the spam', but would also mark every nonspam mail too.)  Some of the above pages omit this information, so take with a pinch of salt.

- [[http://www.blocklisting.com/faq.html|news.admin.net-abuse.blocklisting]] is a newsgroup devoted to discussion of subjects related to the use, administration, and effects of blocklists in ameliorating the problem of unsolicited bulk email and other unwanted or abusive network traffic.  It is also accessible through [[http://groups.google.com/groups?group=news.admin.net-abuse.blocklisting|groups.google.com]].

  == Questions And Answers ==
  <<Anchor(dnsbl-block)>> '''Q: My queries to a DNS-blocklist were blocked.  What does this mean?'''
@@ -133, +116 @@

  A. Yes!  In fact, doing this is important to ''avoid false results from some DNS lists (e.g. DNSWL) if you have a large ISP'' and, if you're running a busy mailserver, this is ''essential'' for efficiency.  See CachingNameserver.

- '''Q: Does anybody know of a good way to use the [[http://www.cluecentral.net/rbl/showcountries.php|cluecentral.net country lists]]? I'd like to penalize certain countries from which I get a lot of spam and almost no real mail. I can't seem to get it working with multiple countries.'''
+ '''Q: I'd like to penalize certain countries from which I get a lot of spam and almost no real mail. I can't seem to get it working with multiple countries.'''

  A. See RelayCountryPlugin.