Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/08 01:42:31 UTC

Unable to Create Suffix

I am using winxp (/vista on another machine). I am using apache
directory studio to do the editing etc.

I am attempting to create a new suffix besides : "dc=example,dc=com"

I am using directions here :
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/144-adding-your-own-partition-resp-suffix.html

i tried to add another suffix so now my C:\Program Files\Apache
Directory Server\instances\default\conf\server.xml file looks like
this :

    <partitions>
      <!-- NOTE: when specifying new partitions you need not include those   -->
      <!-- attributes below with OID's which are the system indices, if left -->
      <!-- out they will be automatically configured for you with defaults.  -->
      <jdbmPartition id="example" cacheSize="100"
suffix="dc=example,dc=com" optimizerEnabled="true"
                     syncOnWrite="true">
        <indexedAttributes>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.1" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.2" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.3" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.4" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.5" cacheSize="10"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.6" cacheSize="10"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.7" cacheSize="10"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="dc" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="ou" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="krb5PrincipalName" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="uid" cacheSize="100"/>
          <jdbmIndex attributeId="objectClass" cacheSize="100"/>
        </indexedAttributes>
      </jdbmPartition>
 <jdbmPartition id="sevenSeas" suffix="o=sevenSeas" />
    </partitions>

When I go through the Directory Studio to try to view this I cannot.
So I stored this in an ldif file :

--
dn: o=sevenSeas
o: sevenSeas

Then i tried to import the ldif file but i get the error:
Error while importing LDIF
Record is invalid
  Record is invalid

I try to use the GUI and right click on the connections->properties
and expand the ROOT DSE and I cannot see the view described in the
image below the lines "If you connect with an LDAP Browser (Apache
Directory Studio for instance), the partition is only visible in the
Root DSE. Below the Properties dialog of Directory Studio for the Root
DSE after connecting to an ApacheDS instance configured like above."

I also cannot see ( dc=example, dc=com ) even though right under neath
the "DIT" node the Root DSE node says "Root DSE (3)"

So again I try to create a copy of the ou=system. I right click on
ou=system and try to copy Entry / dn and try to paste that and just
use the object (not entire subtree). I get the following copy entry
error :
Error while copying entry
[LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 2.5.4.11=people
    objectclass: organizationalUnit
    objectclass: extensibleObject
    objectclass: top
    ou: people
: ou=people]
  [LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 2.5.4.11=people
    objectclass: organizationalUnit
    objectclass: extensibleObject
    objectclass: top
    ou: people
: ou=people]

As you can see I was only trying to add ou=people.

So the problems currently are:
1) I cannot see dc=example, dc=com
2) I cannot add a suffix

Someone please update the docs and make them more updated and / or
give me the link to a directory server that is not so difficult to
manage.
Thanks.

Re: Unable to Create Suffix

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi,

>> You have to look at the namingContexts attribute when clicking on the
>> RootDSE entry. It should contains your partition suffix.
>
> There is no namingContexts attribute. Infact what is shown is not even
> remotely like what is portrayed in the screenshot.
>
> There is no "raw" tab when I click on root dse.

In Apache Directory Studio 1.3 I removed the "raw" tab, because all
information is also listed in the "Entry Editor". I updated the
documentation about that.

Regards,
Stefan

Re: Unable to Create Suffix

Posted by Athar Shiraz Siddiqui <at...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Athar Shiraz Siddiqui wrote:
>>
>> I am using winxp (/vista on another machine). I am using apache
>> directory studio to do the editing etc.
> Good ! Which version ?

Latest one at this point Directory Server: 1.5.4

>> I am attempting to create a new suffix besides : "dc=example,dc=com"
>>

> On ADS, I presume ? Which version ?

Direcrtory Studio 1.3

> Seems ok, assuming that the '--' are not part of the ldif file.

"--" is not part of the ldif file.

> Using Apache Directory Studio, just right-click on the RootDSE, select the
> first entry in the menu (New Context Entry) and add a new entry from
> scratch. It should work.

I tried it and that is giving an error too:

Error while creating entry
[LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 2.5.4.11=people
    objectclass: organizationalUnit
    objectclass: top
    ou: people
: ou=people]
  [LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 2.5.4.11=people
    objectclass: organizationalUnit
    objectclass: top
    ou: people
: ou=people]

>> I try to use the GUI and right click on the connections->properties
>> and expand the ROOT DSE and I cannot see the view described in the
>> image below the lines "If you connect with an LDAP Browser (Apache
>> Directory Studio for instance), the partition is only visible in the
>> Root DSE. Below the Properties dialog of Directory Studio for the Root
>> DSE after connecting to an ApacheDS instance configured like above."
>>

> You have to look at the namingContexts attribute when clicking on the
> RootDSE entry. It should contains your partition suffix.

There is no namingContexts attribute. Infact what is shown is not even
remotely like what is portrayed in the screenshot.

There is no "raw" tab when I click on root dse.

> Plain normal, for the very same reason : the associated context entry has
> not been created - yet.

How would i create that? I went to import ldif and then navigated to
the conf file and ldif in C:\Program Files\Apache Directory
Server\conf

But the import is not registering or showing anythign here.

I also go to C:\apache_ds_tutorial.ldif

and try to upload the ldif but to no avail. Any idea what is going on?

Wait a second as I was working all of a sudden dc=example, dc=com
showed up! what a surprise. Now I would like a similar thing working
please except instead of dc=example i would like it to be
dc=somethingelse, dc=edu etc. is it possible to do that if i just
find/replaced everything in the ldif and imported it? will that work?

BTW I went to this directory : C:\Program Files\Apache Directory
Server\instances\default\partitions and i see sevenseas there so
something worked!
I just cant see it in my studio. Even though i imported the ldif file

dn: o=sevenSeas
o: sevenSeas
objectClass: top
objectClass: organization

and restarted the server.

didnt see that appear at all.

>> As you can see I was only trying to add ou=people.
>>

> Which is not possible if you don't select a full DN for this elements.
> Creating a ou=people,dc=example,dc=org will work.

Ok how do I do that? As I said I selected ou=system and then right
clicked and copied the entry dn. Then I pasted it under Root DSE
 (after selecting root dse)

I am given an error saying that ou=system already exists and so I try
to rename it by doing "rename entry and continue and put in ou=people
in the interface. Then i click ok and I get:
Error while copying entry
[LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 2.5.4.11=people
    objectclass: organizationalUnit
    objectclass: extensibleObject
    objectclass: top
    ou: people
: ou=people]
  [LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 2.5.4.11=people
    objectclass: organizationalUnit
    objectclass: extensibleObject
    objectclass: top
    ou: people
: ou=people]

How do I specify dc= example and dc=org?

How is example  and org even relevant sine  believe system is not even
connected to that partition or suffix at all.

Now that i have dc=example dc=com showing I right select it, right
click and copy entry / dn and then paste it and I get this error :

Error while copying entry
[LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.25=example
    objectclass: extensibleObject
    objectclass: domain
    objectclass: top
    dc: example
: dc=example]
  [LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
ClientEntry
    dn: 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.25=example
    objectclass: extensibleObject
    objectclass: domain
    objectclass: top
    dc: example
: dc=example]

> Because the associated context entry does not exist (starting from 1.5.4,
> this is the way the server behaves).

Can we have archives of the oder versions pls. not that it would make
it any user friendlier but ....

>> 2) I cannot add a suffix
>
> I have tested it, with Studio, and it works well. Just check that following
> the steps I described you still have the same issue.

I have the same issue. What is that step? add partition info to
server.xml and then import ldif?  As I said I tried it with sevenseas
and then with the apache_ds_tutorial.ldif but it didnt work.

I would prefer to wean away from the examples and create my own suffix please.

> 2) Eventually, contribute to a better documentation, as it's a volunteer
> effort...

I will write up my own docs but I first i would like to make this work.

> OpenLDAP, OpenDS, FedoraDS, MandrivaDS, Microsoft AD, you have a lot of

Openldap does not work with windows. I hope the above work with
windows.I will look them up.

Re: Unable to Create Suffix

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Athar Shiraz Siddiqui wrote:
> I am using winxp (/vista on another machine). I am using apache
> directory studio to do the editing etc.

Good ! Which version ?
> I am attempting to create a new suffix besides : "dc=example,dc=com"

On ADS, I presume ? Which version ?
> I am using directions here :
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/144-adding-your-own-partition-resp-suffix.html
>
> i tried to add another suffix so now my C:\Program Files\Apache
> Directory Server\instances\default\conf\server.xml file looks like
> this :
>

>     <partitions>
>       <!-- NOTE: when specifying new partitions you need not include those   -->
>       <!-- attributes below with OID's which are the system indices, if left -->
>       <!-- out they will be automatically configured for you with defaults.  -->
>       <jdbmPartition id="example" cacheSize="100"
> suffix="dc=example,dc=com" optimizerEnabled="true"
>                      syncOnWrite="true">
>         <indexedAttributes>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.1" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.2" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.3" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.4" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.5" cacheSize="10"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.6" cacheSize="10"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.7" cacheSize="10"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="dc" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="ou" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="krb5PrincipalName" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="uid" cacheSize="100"/>
>           <jdbmIndex attributeId="objectClass" cacheSize="100"/>
>         </indexedAttributes>
>       </jdbmPartition>
>  <jdbmPartition id="sevenSeas" suffix="o=sevenSeas" />
>     </partitions>
>
> When I go through the Directory Studio to try to view this I cannot.

So far, so good. And you can't see it as you have to create the
associated context entry (something you are trying to do just after ...)
> So I stored this in an ldif file :
>
> --
> dn: o=sevenSeas
> o: sevenSeas
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: organization

Seems ok, assuming that the '--' are not part of the ldif file.

Using Apache Directory Studio, just right-click on the RootDSE, select
the first entry in the menu (New Context Entry) and add a new entry from
scratch. It should work.
> --
>
> Then i tried to import the ldif file but i get the error:
> Error while importing LDIF
> Record is invalid
>   Record is invalid
>
> I try to use the GUI and right click on the connections->properties
> and expand the ROOT DSE and I cannot see the view described in the
> image below the lines "If you connect with an LDAP Browser (Apache
> Directory Studio for instance), the partition is only visible in the
> Root DSE. Below the Properties dialog of Directory Studio for the Root
> DSE after connecting to an ApacheDS instance configured like above."

You have to look at the namingContexts attribute when clicking on the
RootDSE entry. It should contains your partition suffix.
> I also cannot see ( dc=example, dc=com ) even though right under neath
> the "DIT" node the Root DSE node says "Root DSE (3)"

Plain normal, for the very same reason : the associated context entry
has not been created - yet.
> So again I try to create a copy of the ou=system. I right click on
> ou=system and try to copy Entry / dn and try to paste that and just
> use the object (not entire subtree). I get the following copy entry
> error :
> Error while copying entry
> [LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
> ClientEntry
>     dn: 2.5.4.11=people
>     objectclass: organizationalUnit
>     objectclass: extensibleObject
>     objectclass: top
>     ou: people
> : ou=people]
>   [LDAP: error code 32 - NO_SUCH_OBJECT: failed for     Add Request :
> ClientEntry
>     dn: 2.5.4.11=people
>     objectclass: organizationalUnit
>     objectclass: extensibleObject
>     objectclass: top
>     ou: people
> : ou=people]
>
> As you can see I was only trying to add ou=people.

Which is not possible if you don't select a full DN for this elements.
Creating a ou=people,dc=example,dc=org will work.
> So the problems currently are:
> 1) I cannot see dc=example, dc=com

Because the associated context entry does not exist (starting from
1.5.4, this is the way the server behaves).
> 2) I cannot add a suffix

I have tested it, with Studio, and it works well. Just check that
following the steps I described you still have the same issue.
> Someone please update the docs
We do what we can to get the doc updated, considering we have a limited
amount of time to dedicate to the server. Right here, it's sunday, 2:20
am, and I have to wake up in less than 6 hours for my day job. The best
I can tell you is that if you think the doc is not good enough, or
outdated, the best way to get it fixed is :
1) Fill a JIRA to be sure that it will be fixed asap, and not forgotten
in the pile of mail we have
2) Eventually, contribute to a better documentation, as it's a volunteer
effort...
> and make them more updated and / or
> give me the link to a directory server that is not so difficult to
> manage.

OpenLDAP, OpenDS, FedoraDS, MandrivaDS, Microsoft AD, you have a lot of
possibilities out there. But again, even if I understand your
frustration, you have to understand that we are doing our best, which
obviously is not enough, but, eh, we are not perfect, and we are doing
that on our own time.
> Thanks.

Thank you !

cordialement, regards,