Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/11/15 05:09:44 UTC

Javopolis/Belgium for those that are interested...

Folks,

Day 1 :  Business stuff, mainstream sessions:

With J2EE mentioned a lot. Web Services figured and there was an
excellent session on JDO, with a demo of LiDO from
http://www.libelis.com  - they seem to have a very compelling product
that under ant control can switch from pointing at a DB to persist to
XML or serialized objects.  Very nice.

Eliotte Rusty Harold gave a presetation of "what's wrong with Java, and
a call for Java 3.0", then a too short overview of NIO.

Day 2 : Open Source and XP dual tracks.
---------------------------------------

Eric Gamma gave an overview of Eclipse, how it handles plugin, its
marvellous refactoring support, and more.

Ricard Oberg gave an excellent talk on his not-released-yet EJB killer
that uses a hme grown AOP thingy to handle method invocations on the
client side. These are then marshalled asyncronously and then fired to
the back end i a single commit-like event.  This will be revolutionary
when it comes out.

Aslak Hellesov gave an deep overview of XDoclet, then a shorter
introduction to MiddleGen (http://boss.bekk.no/boss/middlegen/). Give it
a DB schema and it  will generate a whole EAR file including webapp.
Truly excellent, but clearly quite dangerous.

Mathias Bogaert gave an expert demo of SiteMesh (
http://www.opensymphony.com/sitemesh/ ) .. the JBoss site uses this for
it's portal binding.  He then gave a fairly good introduction to Maven.

Arnoud Engelfriet had a truly excelent session on the legal perils of
Open Source as used inside a company.  He is from Phillips and they are
ultra careful with OSS as they ship loads of devices with embedded
software.  This fellow should write a book, he really new his stuff.

Lastly, I wish I'd gone to Steve Freeman's "How Mock Objects happended".
 Steve is always good value.

If the slides become publically available to any of these, I'll forward
the link.  Some good stuff...

- Paul