Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2020/12/18 20:10:10 UTC

Replacement for Windows service wrapper (procrun)

Hi

We use Procrun from Apache Commons Daemon project
as a service wrapper for Apache Tomcat for quite some time.
There are many problems with that package.

I have created a project named SvcBatch
https://github.com/mturk/svcbatch

It can be used for various deployments.
Apache Tomcat can use catalina.bat directly
for running service ... more details at
https://github.com/mturk/svcbatch/blob/master/docs/examples/apachetomcat.md

I'd love to get some feedback from folks
that are using Apache Tomcat on Windows platform.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: Replacement for Windows service wrapper (procrun)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mladen,

On 12/20/20 09:40, Mladen Turk wrote:
>> Mladen,
>>
>> On 12/18/20 15:10, Mladen Turk wrote:
>>>
>>> It can be used for various deployments.
>>> Apache Tomcat can use catalina.bat directly
>>> for running service ... more details at
>>> https://github.com/mturk/svcbatch/blob/master/docs/examples/apachetomcat.md
>>>

>>> I'd love to get some feedback from folks
>>> that are using Apache Tomcat on Windows platform.
>>
>> I don't generally use Windows, so I don't have a horse in this race,
>> but I'm curious as to the complaints against procrun versus what
>> SvcBatch provides. Can you give some examples of problems that
>> SvcBatch solves?
>>

> The major problem it solves is single point of configuration.
> SvcBatch uses catalina.bat to run Tomcat, so there is no
> need for additional configuration which Procrun saves in registry.

Gotcha. This is indeed a significant improvement IMO. Being able to more
easily script things is always good, and working with on-disk config
files is always easier (again, IMHO).

> Also using GUI for configuration is unproductive
> when there are many instances that need to be configured,
> and particularly for servers versions that do not have GUI.

You can theoretically specify everything from the command-line but if
you want to change something you essentially have to delete the service
and re-create it unless you want to use the GUI. The recent addition of
being able to export the registry-based configuration to a script helps
significantly, but it's still putting the live config into the registry.

>> The process for SvcBatch seems to be fairly similar to that of procrun.
>>

> Nope. They are quite far apart.

Not really from a novice's perspective (i.e. mine). Perhaps from a
power-admin's perspective, SvcBatch is more powerful.

-chris

Re: Replacement for Windows service wrapper (procrun)

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by calder <ca...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 18, 2020, 17:16 Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Mladen,
>
> > I'd love to get some feedback from folks
> > that are using Apache Tomcat on Windows platform.
>
> I don't generally use Windows, so I don't have a horse in this race, but
> I'm curious as to the complaints against procrun versus what SvcBatch
> provides.

Can you give some examples of problems that SvcBatch solves?

+1

I think Mark already commented (though my memory is always questionable) on
this subject  : )

It's been a while since I configured a Tomcat on Windows, but it

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mladen,

On 12/18/20 15:10, Mladen Turk wrote:
> We use Procrun from Apache Commons Daemon project
> as a service wrapper for Apache Tomcat for quite some time.
> There are many problems with that package.
>
> I have created a project named SvcBatch
> https://github.com/mturk/svcbatch
>
> It can be used for various deployments.
> Apache Tomcat can use catalina.bat directly
> for running service ... more details at
> https://github.com/mturk/svcbatch/blob/master/docs/examples/apachetomcat.md
>

> I'd love to get some feedback from folks
> that are using Apache Tomcat on Windows platform.

I don't generally use Windows, so I don't have a horse in this race, but
I'm curious as to the complaints against procrun versus what SvcBatch
provides. Can you give some examples of problems that SvcBatch solves?

It's been a while since I configured a Tomcat on Windows, but it
generally ends up being something like:

SERVICE.BAT install MyTomcatInstanceName

When you need to specify custom JVM options you mostly use the GUI to
change them after the fact, but you can use %JvmArgs% to specify them,
too. You can also use %JAVA_HOME%, %CATALINA_HOME%, and %CATALINA_BASE%
if necessary.