Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jose Mario Pires <Jo...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/13 03:31:21 UTC

"Can't locate Net/DNS/RR/PTR.pm in @INC"

Hi,

Please excuse me if this isn't the appropriate place to report this issue and
asking for help.

I have installed the last available version of Qmailtoaster and things
apparently are all OK. It has some hundred email accounts and processes
thousands of emails daily, rejecting many of them of spam and marking others
as such.

However, the logs os SA (in /var/log/qmail/spamd) show plenty of the following
error:

error: Can't locate Net/DNS/RR/PTR.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ../lib
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/
5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-mul ti
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl) at (eval 1273) line 3, <GEN400> line 89

(the number sufix of <GEN*> has a couple of variants, like 402,404, 408, 22, etc.)

I have checked that Net/DNS/RR/PTR.pm exists in
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi (one of the
directories in @INC), so I can't figure out what is happening.

I am using OpenSuse 10.2 and I have compiled the CPAN libraries from the
sources that I downloaded from http://www.cpan.org/ back in early July-2007.

Any input is welcome.

Regards,
Jose Mario Pires

Re: "Can't locate Net/DNS/RR/PTR.pm in @INC"

Posted by Jose Mario Pires <jo...@nls.pt>.
On Sat, October 13, 2007 15:59, Bob Proulx wrote:
>> I have installed the last available version of Qmailtoaster and things
>
> Is Qmailtoaster related to SpamAssassin?

Qmailtoaster is a package or distribution that includes Vpopmail (that in turn is a
package based in Qmail), SpamAssassin and other products like Clamav and Squirrel Mail.

>> error: Can't locate Net/DNS/RR/PTR.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ../lib
>> I have checked that Net/DNS/RR/PTR.pm exists in
>> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi (one of the
>> directories in @INC), so I can't figure out what is happening.

> The typical way to check that a module is found and loaded by perl is
> to test it specifically.  Run a script that can't have an error (for
> example "0") and then instruct perl to load the module (such as
> -MNet::DNS).  If it is silent then it worked.  If not then it failed.
>
>   $ perl -Mnon-existent-module -e 0
>   Can't locate non.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ...trimmed...
>   BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
>
> Using that test, the following should work if things are installed
> correctly.  Or you will get a command line message that you can use to
> chase down the problem further.
>
>   $ perl -MNet::DNS::RR::PTR -e 0
>
> This succeeded silently for me on my system and I assume should work
> for you as well.  But with the errors you have reported I assume that
> it will report an error on your system but will lead you to the problem.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Silly me, it was just a problem with permissions: contrarily to most of the directories
of Perl, the directory that contains Net/DNS/RR/PTR.pm was accessible only by root. I
guess it is put like that by the CPAN makefiles.

Regards,
Jose

Re: "Can't locate Net/DNS/RR/PTR.pm in @INC"

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Jose Mario Pires wrote:
> Please excuse me if this isn't the appropriate place to report this issue
> and asking for help.

If it relates to use or development of SpamAssassin then it is on
topic.

> I have installed the last available version of Qmailtoaster and things

Is Qmailtoaster related to SpamAssassin?

> error: Can't locate Net/DNS/RR/PTR.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ../lib
> I have checked that Net/DNS/RR/PTR.pm exists in
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi (one of the
> directories in @INC), so I can't figure out what is happening.

The typical way to check that a module is found and loaded by perl is
to test it specifically.  Run a script that can't have an error (for
example "0") and then instruct perl to load the module (such as
-MNet::DNS).  If it is silent then it worked.  If not then it failed.

  $ perl -Mnon-existent-module -e 0
  Can't locate non.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ...trimmed...
  BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

Using that test, the following should work if things are installed
correctly.  Or you will get a command line message that you can use to
chase down the problem further.

  $ perl -MNet::DNS::RR::PTR -e 0

This succeeded silently for me on my system and I assume should work
for you as well.  But with the errors you have reported I assume that
it will report an error on your system but will lead you to the problem.

Bob

Re: "Can't locate Net/DNS/RR/PTR.pm in @INC"

Posted by Jose Mario Pires <jo...@nls.pt>.
On Sat, October 13, 2007 14:11, mouss wrote:
> maybe a chroot problem?

Thank you for the tip. Actually it was something alike: the directory where PTR.pm is
was accessible only by root.

Re: "Can't locate Net/DNS/RR/PTR.pm in @INC"

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.