Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2005/12/29 16:37:40 UTC

JAMES-418 and SVN tagging

Peter,

According to http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-418, you provided us with a new build from Phoenix.  Is all of the code in SVN, e.g., for this "patched cornerstone-datasources-impl"?  Would you please create a tag from the pieces that you just build, so that we don't lose track of what was used to create the build, as happened before?

Thanks.

	--- Noel

Re: JAMES-418 and SVN tagging

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Dec 30, 2005, at 1:27 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> I built peter sources after an upgrade of avalon/excalibur
>> libraries to
>> the latest official stable releases. I also removed jdk 1.3
>> compatibility jars that are not needed for james 2.3.0 that will be
>> 1.4+ only.
>
> So you did the build, or Peter?

I just shared copies of the source that I had been using.

>> IIRC peter sources are from
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avalon/cvs-migration-snapshot/
>> avalon-phoenix/
>
>> I don't know what is the svn version used in the peter version. I
>> also
>> checked the latest trunk and it worked fine.
>
> I just want to identify exactly which code is used, and then tag it
> so that we don't have a repeat of an earlier fiasco, when no one
> knew which code had been used for our Phoenix drop, and it was
> unmaintainable.

What I had sent was an older CVS checkout, the code in the svn url
above is a bit newer, but very similar.

>> It would be cool if proyal, leosimons or niclas could tag that
>> release
>> as phoenix 4.2 or something similar.
>
> If you'll just pick a branch of Phoenix, do the build and test, and
> let me know which code you picked, I'll see that the branch is
> tagged.  Far as I'm concerned, the tag can be called FOR_JAMES_2.3.

You may just want to import what I sent into the james repo and
maintain your own copy, might be best :)
-pete

Re: JAMES-418 and SVN tagging

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Stefano,
>
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> Peter,
>>> According to http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-418, you
>>> provided > us with a new build from Phoenix.  Is all of the code
>>> in SVN, e.g., for this "patched cornerstone-datasources-impl"?
>>> Would you please create a tag from the pieces that you just build,
>>> so that we don't lose track of what was used to create the build,
>>> as happened before?
>
>> The "patched" cornerstone-datasources-impl is not from Peter, but me.
>
> Ah, OK.  If you'll provide the patch, we can get it into source control.  Heck, if necessary, I'll commit it myself.

I simply changed the DefaultDataSourceSelector-schema.xml in the jar
adding the definition for our datasource: i'm not sure that it is
correct to commmit the change to excalibur, but I don't fully understand
that validation behaviour.

I attach the new file.

>> I built peter sources after an upgrade of avalon/excalibur libraries to
>> the latest official stable releases. I also removed jdk 1.3
>> compatibility jars that are not needed for james 2.3.0 that will be
>> 1.4+ only.
>
> So you did the build, or Peter?
>
>> IIRC peter sources are from
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avalon/cvs-migration-snapshot/avalon-phoenix/
>
>> I don't know what is the svn version used in the peter version. I also
>> checked the latest trunk and it worked fine.
>
> I just want to identify exactly which code is used, and then tag it so that we don't have a repeat of an earlier fiasco, when no one knew which code had been used for our Phoenix drop, and it was unmaintainable.

Ok, I've just doenloaded
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avalon/cvs-migration-snapshot/avalon-phoenix/
upgraded avalon-framework-4.1.5.jar to avalon-framework-api-4.3.jar +
avalon-framework-impl-4.3.jar, upgraded logkit-2.0.jar to
avalon-logkit-2.1.jar, jakarta-oro from 2.0.6 to 2.0.8 and other
excalibur libraries to the latest official stable 2.1.

I also removed PUnitHelper.java, PUnitResourceProvider.java and
PUnitTestCase.java from the sources to be able to build (they are unit
tests, so I don't care by now, they don't go in the binary distro).

If this release works fine then we are ok because the release is already
 in it's own branch "cvs-migration-snapshot".
If my first tests will work then I will commit the new avalon-phoenix to
 the james repository so you can do more tests.

I want to apply also my fix to
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-421
before running the tests so I can test 2 things at a time.

>> It would be cool if proyal, leosimons or niclas could tag that release
>> as phoenix 4.2 or something similar.
>
> If you'll just pick a branch of Phoenix, do the build and test, and let me know which code you picked, I'll see that the branch is tagged.  Far as I'm concerned, the tag can be called FOR_JAMES_2.3.
>
> 	--- Noel

Ok, I'll report back my test results with the "cvs-migration-snapshot"
the next year ;-), and let's start the new year with a james 2.3.0b1 or
2.3.0a1 release!

Stefano

RE: JAMES-418 and SVN tagging

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Stefano,

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Peter,
> > According to http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-418, you
> > provided > us with a new build from Phoenix.  Is all of the code
> > in SVN, e.g., for this "patched cornerstone-datasources-impl"?
> > Would you please create a tag from the pieces that you just build,
> > so that we don't lose track of what was used to create the build,
> > as happened before?

> The "patched" cornerstone-datasources-impl is not from Peter, but me.

Ah, OK.  If you'll provide the patch, we can get it into source control.  Heck, if necessary, I'll commit it myself.

> I built peter sources after an upgrade of avalon/excalibur libraries to
> the latest official stable releases. I also removed jdk 1.3
> compatibility jars that are not needed for james 2.3.0 that will be
> 1.4+ only.

So you did the build, or Peter?

Re: JAMES-418 and SVN tagging

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Peter,
>
> According to http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-418, you provided us with a new build from Phoenix.  Is all of the code in SVN, e.g., for this "patched cornerstone-datasources-impl"?  Would you please create a tag from the pieces that you just build, so that we don't lose track of what was used to create the build, as happened before?
>
> Thanks.
>
> 	--- Noel

The "patched" cornerstone-datasources-impl is not from Peter, but me.

I simply updated the DefaultDataSourceSelector-schema.xml schema to
support the James specific datasource otherwise phoenix-trunk wouldn't
start due to validation errors.

I'm not sure wether we should better add a new jar containing only the
DefaultDataSourceSelector-schema.xml updated and include it first in the
classpath.

I built peter sources after an upgrade of avalon/excalibur libraries to
the latest official stable releases. I also removed jdk 1.3
compatibility jars that are not needed for james 2.3.0 that will be 1.4+
only.

IIRC peter sources are from
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avalon/cvs-migration-snapshot/avalon-phoenix/

I don't know what is the svn version used in the peter version. I also
checked the latest trunk and it worked fine.

The last code updates in that repository are from June 2003 (the
following ones are for documentations, build.xml, libraries upgrades and
directory structure only).