Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> on 2008/03/12 11:39:59 UTC

[DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report, March 2008

Anything I missed or got wrong? Maybe I missed new PMC members as
usual? :-)

Henry, did I cover the Incubator idea correctly? Feel free to change
directly in

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/pmc/commons/reports/board

...or let me know.

cheers

--
Apache Commons Board Report, March 2008

General
=======

   o Activity

     The past few months have been quite busy. A couple of releases
(see below)
     have gone out. Based on http://markmail.org/ user activity is
slowly
     declining while activity on the development list has significantly
     increased at the beginning of the year. It's slowly declining
again.

     Question of dormancy have been raised for 'commons vfs' and
'commons
     launcher'.

   o Re-release of old source distributions

     This has been brought to the board's attention before. For the
users
     convenience we would like to re-package old source releases and
provide
     them also as source jars. This of course affects releases that
have been
     made under ASL 1.1. While new releases have to be ASL 2.0 the
current
     opinion is that (as long as nothing is changed during the
process) this
     "re-packaging" does not classify as a new release. So we can
still provide
     the new artifact under ASL 1.1. Basically it would have to
adhere to the
     rules when the orignal release has been made.

     No action has been taking yet. I would be great to get the board's
     agreement on the PMC's notion.

   o Commons Sandbox Incubator

     While the Commons Sandbox works quite straight forward for ASF
internal
     use. The question is what to do with external component level code
     donations that may or may not been already covered by CLA.
Building a
     community around a single component inside the normal Incubator
might
     be tough. The idea has been brought up to work with Labs or the
Incubator
     to find a solution to this.

   o Removal of Cobertura reports (as the resulting reports may GPL)

     Cobertura is a code coverage plugin for maven. It's been used
through the
     ASF to generate reports that are part of the website. As at
least parts
     of the generated site is covered by the GPL we decided not to
use it
     anymore. Otherwise we cannot ship the website for a release.

   o Support for OSGi

     New Commons releases will now include the metadata that is
required to be
     used inside OSGi out of the box.

   o We got two new components into the Commons sandbox

     - monitoring

       http://wiki.apache.org/commons/Monitoring

     - commons build plugin

       Which got promoted to proper pretty much straight away for the
       infrastructure and build improvements (see below)

       http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/
200802.mbox/%
3c55afdc850802091808g61a86940t9e5d75115c0ef837@mail.gmail.com%3e

Releases
========

   o Released
     - commons SCXML 0.7              http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200712.mbox/%
3cce1f2ea80712191002g5f96d5few83279ba4a42999bd@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons pool 1.4               http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200801.mbox/%
3c8a81b4af0801151908x195f664dy600cd83abecdaaa8@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons sandbox parent POM 3   http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200801.mbox/%
3c55afdc850801181745g7f48efc4s5e84447297732a25@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons IO 1.4                 http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200801.mbox/%
3c55afdc850801200801p16e8265em3652d1e0e81a9f5d@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons fileupload 1.2.1       http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200802.mbox/%
3ce75283b10802061209r554e249dg7f3afd6ccfcab6cb@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons math 1.2               http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200802.mbox/%
3c8a81b4af0802232149g3e237e9j455d62d3ac0d3d6@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons build plugin 1.0       http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200802.mbox/%
3c55afdc850802240403n4d6f3ae7o5bfa09bc6c3b3a53@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons proxy 1.0              http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200802.mbox/%
3cf2e8eedf0802261011g5dfe9517g9d089cbfc101cb5b@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons parent POM 6           http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200801.mbox/%
3c55afdc850801061239r6128513cxde21e25e0338af01@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons parent POM 7           http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200801.mbox/%
3c55afdc850801151216pe4a33dbj4455ed5737e69891@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons parent POM 8           http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200803.mbox/%
3c55afdc850803011310u31561507te49f5bf5d51678f6@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons sandbox parent POM 4   http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200803.mbox/%
3c55afdc850803041651q37ddd80bxba6973e90cadf900@mail.gmail.com%3e
     - commons parent POM 9           http://mail-archives.apache.org/
mod_mbox/commons-dev/200803.mbox/%
3c55afdc850803090330i1f529a94vf5c8fbdf07424698@mail.gmail.com%3e

Infrastructure
==============

   o The maven based release process has been discussed and improved.
   o For some components missing/broken redirects from jakarta have
been fixed.
   o Old bugzilla entries have been removed and we are 100% jira now.
We hope
     to get redirects in place so people will not hit broken links
but get to
     correct jira issue instead.

     http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/200803.mbox/
%3c8a81b4af0803081206v290eb85cjda5a1d4555ea0ccb@mail.gmail.com%3e

Community
=========

   o No new committers
   o No new PMC members

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report, March 2008

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:

>  On 12.03.2008, at 13:18, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>
>  > Couple of things missing:
>  >
>  >  - Gary Gregory joined the PMC
>
>  I knew it :-D
>

>  >  - FileUpload 1.2.1 was released
>
>  But that one is listed

Yes sorry - missed it with all those dam pom releases :(

Niall

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 3/12/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:52 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 12/03/2008, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > On 3/12/08, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  > On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  > <snip/>
>  >  >
>  >  > >  >
>  >  >  >  >  For components that are targetted at Java 1.4+, I'd say drop the M1
>  >  >  >  >  build files entirely, as IMO they don't offer any benefit, and are
>  >  >  >  >  confusing unless they are maintained in synch with the M2 files.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > If they work I see no need to delete.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > <snap/>
>  >  >
>  >  >  Specifically, please do not delete m1 and ant builds for [scxml]. I
>  >  >  use the m1 build very frequently.
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  Just curious:
>  >  Is there something in M1 that M2 does not (yet) support?
>

> Users who haven't moved to m2 :)

<snip/>

:-)

For me, its some combination of personal preference (especially for
Commons-like builds, most of which are single module), the Commons m2
build not working for me last time I tried (IIRC deployment protocol
wasn't pluggable -- that was a while ago!) and the fact that I haven't
even installed m2 yet on 2 out of 3 machines (though I intend to :-).

The Commons m2 builds have improved greatly since I tried, thanks to
all the hard work others have put in and they do more than the m1
builds ATM (the felix plugin jumps to mind). There are few m2 quirks
(ongoing license header discussion), but there are also workarounds.
I'll be trying out the m2 builds again (hopefully soon).

-Rahul

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report, March 2008

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 12:29 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/03/2008, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Couple of things missing:
>  >
>  >   - Gary Gregory joined the PMC
>  >   - FileUpload 1.2.1 was released
>  >
>  >  Another point, perhaps not relevant to the report - although we did
>  >  one m1 release (Pool 1.4) that included OSGi metadata - I doubt I will
>  >  do that manually again, so probably releases will only include OSGi
>  >  metadata if we use m2 as the primary build tool for releases. Do we
>  >  want to make using m2 a commons-wide policy? All but two components
>  >  (jelly and attributes) have m2 builds, so IMO it would be a good idea.
>  >

>  However M2 requires Java 1.4+.
>
>  Some components are intended for Java 1.3 or earlier.
>  For Java 1.3, one can use Maven 1.0.2 or Ant 1.6.5.
>
>  For components that are targetted at Java 1.4+, I'd say drop the M1
>  build files entirely, as IMO they don't offer any benefit, and are
>  confusing unless they are maintained in synch with the M2 files.

If they work I see no need to delete.

>  For other components, then the Ant and/or M1 builds need to be maintained.

I agree, but we can still use m2 to create releases.

Niall

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Couple of things missing:

 - Gary Gregory joined the PMC

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
If there are no further changes I will submit the board report later
today.

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report, March 2008

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
On 12.03.2008, at 14:56, Matt Benson wrote:
> --- Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Anything I missed or got wrong? Maybe I missed new
>> PMC members as
>> usual? :-)
>
> Not sure whether I'm being overly formal... proposed
> edits; I'll commit if given approval:

Please commit. No need to send around emails showing off my bad
spelling ;) :-D

Thanks!
--
Torsten

Re: [DRAFT] Apache Commons Board Report, March 2008

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:

> Anything I missed or got wrong? Maybe I missed new
> PMC members as
> usual? :-)

Not sure whether I'm being overly formal... proposed
edits; I'll commit if given approval:

Index: board-2008-03.txt
--- board-2008-03.txt   (revision 13338)
+++ board-2008-03.txt   (working copy)
@@ -15,7 +15,7 @@

@@ -24,13 +24,13 @@
     the new artifact under ASL 1.1. Basically it
would have to adhere to the
     rules when the orignal release has been made.

-    No action has been taking yet. It would be great
to get the board's
+    No action has been taken yet. It would be great
to get the board's
     agreement on the PMC's notion.

   o Commons Sandbox Incubator

-    While the Commons Sandbox works quite straight
forward for ASF internal
-    use. The question is what to do with external
component level code
+    While the Commons Sandbox works quite
straightforwardly for ASF internal
@@ -39,7 +39,7 @@

@@ -88,8 +88,8 @@
   o For some components missing/broken redirects from
jakarta have been fixed.
   o Old bugzilla entries have been removed and we are
100% jira now. We hope
     to get redirects in place so people will not hit
broken links but get to
-    correct jira issue instead.
-
+    correct jira issue instead.