Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> on 2020/03/10 12:22:45 UTC

Apache NetBeans 12.0 -- Eric Barboni

Hi all,

Especially Eric, who volunteered to be volunteer release manager for 12.0.

Here are our dates for the 12.0 release and NetCAT 12.0:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Release+Schedule

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetCAT+12.0+Schedule

Where March 15th is listed as feature freeze.

Just making sure we're all on the same page about the above.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: Apache NetBeans 12.0 -- Eric Barboni

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

awesome Eric is doing the release again,

Im currently trying to get Groovy 3.0.x support into NetBeans 12, but there
are still some rough edges... not sure if I will make it. Backup plan is to
update to last 2.5.x to ensure compatibilty with newer Java versions as a
runtime for the IDE..

-Sven

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 at 12:27, Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm physically training a lot :D Will be fit on 12.0 release :p

I look forward to the training montage video :-)

> Feature freeze is a bit abstract to me. After merge close, all of us should be careful of PR that will go for 12.1 or 12.0 LTS.

Well, at least everything that goes in 12.0 should have your review
and you have final call on it if need be - it's mainly your workload
that stands to increase!   In my opinion, we also need to be careful
of pulling in anything that changes too much of what is being covered
by NetCAT - being involved with NetCAT for 9 made me wary of providing
too much of a moving target for that process.

> In some way I feel that RM on early phase can be more group work (it was a bit like that in 11.3) :
>    making a branch, setting up json and pushing build button on Jenkins for beta creation can be done by any PMC. (No signing, no vote ..)
>    and making changes remerging for beta milestone is quite easy too, with help of PR. That lower the workload.

Agreed, and a good thing for more people to know how that all works,
particularly whoever wants to do 12.1, and if there's a week you can't
do it - shout up (assuming weekly betas are right still?) ...

> The remaining works is locked to RM but it's a matter of hours for each round of candidate.
>    The hard stuff is VC preparation with signing that is done by  RM and co RM (for installers) on their own computer.

... yes, that's kind of a one person thing, although the hardest thing
might just be waiting for svn! ;-)

I was actually thinking there's a bunch of stuff here around JIRA
issue management, related PR triaging/reviewing, etc. that might need
opening up more - I wonder how much NetCAT will increase the work
there.  And just generally working out how that fits in / gets
managed.

> What I'm start thinking is instead of a xx.u-update1 it will be quite easy to go for xx. instead of complex construct (if 11.3 need patch then go to 11.31) full updating web + mirror with the 11.31.

Not sure the point you're making here?  I went with 11.2-u1 mainly not
to have 11.21 before 11.3.  But the choice of version number seems a
minimal concern.  You thinking of whole release for update?  NB
11.2-u1 was just vote on full sources, plus putting the required
update NBMs on the mirrors.  Don't see how it could be less complex.

> This is informal :D

 :-)

Best wishes,

Neil

RE: Apache NetBeans 12.0 -- Eric Barboni

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
Some items we need to resolve for 12.0:

— Make nb-javac less prominently required and explicitly state that ideally
a JDK later than 8 should be used. (Not dropping anything here, just
strongly recommending.)

— JavaFX Gluon project nbactions support via an extension to the wizard
API. (Assigned to Jaroslav Tulach.)