Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Kate <ka...@gmail.com> on 2021/02/06 19:04:27 UTC

Open Office Frozen Need assistance immediately

Hi,

My open office program will not save a new file into PDF.. there is a window screen that keeps asking if I want to re open it or close..

I am needing immediate assistance, and could not find your number to call..
Please have customer support reach out to me so that we can trouble shoot together.

Thanks much,
Kate
505 670-8456

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Open Office Frozen Need assistance immediately

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 13:04:27 -0600
Kate <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My open office program will not save a new file into PDF.. there is a window screen that keeps asking if I want to re open it or close..
>
> I am needing immediate assistance, and could not find your number to call..
> Please have customer support reach out to me so that we can trouble shoot together.
>
> Thanks much,
> Kate
> 505 670-8456

OpenOffice is a free program and in consequence can afford no customer support lines; this mailing list is manned by volunteers in their own time, on a pro bono basis.

Is the "Reopen or Close" message actually a "Recover or Close" message when you start OpenOffice?  If so, this is an indication that OpenOffice and the file were improperly closed on a previous use, perhaps by a program or computer crash, or perhaps by over hasty close down of the computer, before the OpenOffice housekeeping information had been written to disk. If the message is the "Recover or Close" message then select Recover and OpenOffice will attempt to recover the file.  If it is unable to do so, press Cancel, then open a backup or previously Saved version of the file.  It should then be able to /File /Export as PDF.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Open Office Frozen Need assistance immediately

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sat, 06 Feb 2021 16:12:39 -0500
"Andrew Pitonyak" <an...@pitonyak.org> wrote:

> I am not certain if Kate has subscribed so I am copying her directly.
>
> Kate is using a Mac that is 14 years old. The OS is version 10.11.6
>
> When AOO is started, it wants to recover her files. But AOO hangs whether she tells it to recover the files or not (my words, not hers, so I might have the wording a bit wrong). What it really asks is if it should re-open the previous windows. This window hangs and she cannot do anything with it.
>
> So, first question. How can kate start AOO so that it will NOT prompt to recover files. Note that no data will be lost because everything is saved.
>
> Kate does not see a lock file in the directory, so there is probably not one.

On the AOO-en Forum this is given; I think the solution may be applicable in this case:

Q01: How do I correct the following problem?:
The application "OpenOffice" was forced to quit while trying to restore its windows. Do you want to try to restore its windows again?

A01: This is a MacOS problem, typically created when your computer shuts down unexpecedly, such as battery failure in a laptop, or power failure in a desktop. Depending on your level of MacOS, the message may say "reopen" instead of "restore". Reinstalling OpenOffice will not fix the problem so downloading and reinstalling the application is a waste of your time. Creating a new profile (Q02/A02) for this message is also a waste of your time. Quit OpenOffice. If OpenOffice → Quit is does not terminate the program use  → Force Quit → OpenOffice → Force Quit.

In Finder use Go (menu) → Go to Folder → ~/Library/Saved Application State → OK. It is probably best to copy the path from this tutorial and paste it into the Go to Folder dialog. Locate org.openoffice.script.savedState in the list and drag it to the trash. Launch OpenOffice. That's a ~, not a -, before /Library. You must include the ~ in the 33-character folder name.

A link to the entry on the AOO-en Forum
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89283&p=420635

And the details are in A01 (Answer 01)

But note: I am not a Mac user, so the above suggestion is just a guess on my part.  However, I doubt it will cause the computer to explode (much!)

Rory

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Open Office Frozen Need assistance immediately

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

> On Feb 6, 2021, at 1:12 PM, Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org> wrote:
>

> I am not certain if Kate has subscribed so I am copying her directly.
>
> Kate is using a Mac that is 14 years old. The OS is version 10.11.6

OpenOffice 4.1.X should work with macOS 10.7 Lion and greater.

> When AOO is started, it wants to recover her files. But AOO hangs whether she tells it to recover the files or not (my words, not hers, so I might have the wording a bit wrong). What it really asks is if it should re-open the previous windows. This window hangs and she cannot do anything with it.
>
> So, first question. How can kate start AOO so that it will NOT prompt to recover files. Note that no data will be lost because everything is saved.
>
> Kate does not see a lock file in the directory, so there is probably not one.
>
> From the finder window, she is able to open the file, but it seems like it is running a second copy of AOO. I don't really know if it might really be "OpenOffice" and not AOO.

It will show “OpenOffice”. She can try “Force Quit” from the Apple menu to see if there is an OpenOffice already running.

The other question is if she is running from the installation disk or from the Applications folder. OpenOffice should be copied from the installation disk image to Applications in the Finder.

HTH,
Dave