Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Dan <da...@porkfriedrice.net> on 2004/01/20 01:06:29 UTC

correct role for lenya in my app?

Hello,

I currently have a coocoon application that is running just fine. I have
a bunch of XML documents and the cocoon app simply applies various
stylesheets when the a document is requested to provide various views of
the underlying document.

At this point in time, there are 5-10 people creating/editing these XML
files on their workstations and when they are done, they upload them to
the server and place them in the appropriate directory to be served by
my cocoon app. There are several problems with the current situation.
First, each creator/editor must be able to log into the server and copy
their files to the correct place--they are currently using an sftp GUI
client to do this. I'd like something a bit more easy to use. Secondly,
if the creator made a mistake encoding the XML, the request for that
document will fail and a user requesting the document will see an error
when he requests it. Ideally, I'd like a system to check an XML once it
is uploaded to the production server to ensure it confoms to the DTD for
the document. Thirdly, there is some management stuff that needs to go
on every time a document is uploaded (i.e., running a lucene indexer so
the documents text is searchable on the site).

I guess my first area of concern is can Lenya accomplish this for me?
Specifically, does it include components to allow uploading of raw XML
docs by users and does it support validation of those documents? I've
looked through some of the docs, and the content management part of
things seems to focus on allowing users to create/edit the XML on the
server. I'd like to keep our current system whereby users upload to the
server in place. If Lenya does support this, should this administrative
portion of things be kept separate from the existing site or should the
be merged together in some way?

Someone suggested I look at Lenya for this. Are there any examples of
similar systems currently in use? Any pointers to where I should start
exploring to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dan