Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Sumit Nigam <su...@yahoo.com> on 2016/01/11 12:10:23 UTC

ALTER table

Hello,
SALT_BUCKETS cannot be altered after table creation. I'd like to know from advanced users as to how do we ensure that salt buckets hold up as data grows? I might state salt buckets as say, 8 when I create table and that may hold up for a long time. However, as data is increasing those salt buckets will not be sufficient. Also, the value may not always be optimal for different read/ write load types.
Or would specifying initial salt buckets will hold up as long as I make sure I keep adding region servers as I go along?

Thanks,Sumit

Re: ALTER table

Posted by Sumit Nigam <su...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Krishna,
 I'd agree about #salt_buckets as being a multiple of #region servers. But, that may not take into account (at least, completely) the number of region servers that we add, going forward.
Or is it not a bad idea to begin with a large number of pre-splits initially? That may impact read speed though.

Thanks,Sumit

Re: ALTER table

Posted by Krishna <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: ALTER table