Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by andrew davidson <an...@santacruzanalytics.com> on 2022/03/29 22:48:36 UTC

Newbie looking for a connector I can configure on my mac

I found the quick start https://kafka.apache.org/quickstart example very helpful. It made it really easy to understand how download, start up, create topic, push some data through the Kafka. I did not find https://kafka.apache.org/quickstart#quickstart_kafkaconnect useful.

I am looking for something very simple to  learning how to configure and use connectors using Apache Kafka distribution, not Confluent. I can run on my mac or Linux server. Being a newbie I want to keep things super simple. I do not want to have to debug firewalls, ACL, …

I do not have a data base, access to twitter, …

I thought maybe something some sort source/sink using the local file system?

Any suggestions?

Kind regards

Andy

p.s. I have read a lot of documentation most of it is very high level. Can anyone recommend a “hand on” tutorial?

Connector quick start demo: Re: Newbie looking for a connector I can configure on my mac

Posted by andrew davidson <an...@santacruzanalytics.com>.
Hi Liam

Many thanks. I was able to get the file stream connector demo working. See the attached file for detail.

Andy

On 3/29/22, 5:27 PM, "Liam Clarke-Hutchinson" <lc...@redhat.com> wrote:

    Hi Andrew,

    So if you've downloaded Apache Kafka, you can run a standalone connect
    instance using the bin/connect-standalone.sh script mentioned. And while a
    lot of the connector documentation is on the Confluent website, you can
    still use them with FOSS Kafka so long as you're in line with the Confluent
    Community Licence (basically, IIRC, you can use them for free, but not to
    run a SAAS or similar that competes with Confluent, but IANAL).

    I agree that there's not much useful documentation for your use case. I
    will look into writing a tutorial for your use case, would you be happy to
    give me feedback on it as I go?

    The most important configuration initially is the plugin.path, where your
    standalone KC process will look for those JARs. You can see an example
    properties file for standalone Connect under the config/ dir in the Kafka
    you downloaded. Note that it has the plugin path commented out initially.

    So, Kafka ships with a connector that exposes a file source and file sink,
    which is good for testing out KC and getting used to it. You can either
    build it from source, or download it from here:
    https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.kafka/connect-file - choose
    the version that matches the version of Kafka you've downloaded, and then
    you can download the JAR under files up the top. This documentation from
    Confluent is useful:
    https://docs.confluent.io/platform/current/connect/filestream_connector.html

    Note that if you don't provide a file property, (this isn't documented
    either(!)) it will use standard input for the file source, and standard
    output for the file sink. You can see example configs for this connector
    reading from a file or console under that same config/ directory, and ditto
    for writing.

    These connectors might also be useful for playing with KC, and are all free
    and downloadable:
    https://www.confluent.io/hub/confluentinc/kafka-connect-datagen <-
    generates a stream of test data
    https://www.confluent.io/hub/jcustenborder/kafka-connect-twitter <-
    disregard, I saw you mentioned not having Twitter
    https://www.confluent.io/hub/C0urante/kafka-connect-reddit <- I haven't
    used this, but could be interesting?

    I hope this helps you get started, and please let me know if I can help
    with anything else :)

    Cheers,

    Liam Clarke

Posted by Liam Clarke-Hutchinson <lc...@redhat.com>.
Thanks Andy, and glad I could help somewhat :) I'll start writing something
up over the next week, and will share the link here for feedback :)

Just a caveat, the Filestream Connector could be considered a security risk
in a production environment given its direct access to the filesystem. Not
that you're looking to use this in prod, but just wanted to be sure I
mentioned it.

Posted by "Tauzell, Dave" <Da...@surescripts.com>.
FOSS == Free Open Source Software

From: andrew davidson <an...@santacruzanalytics.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 3:16 PM
To: users@kafka.apache.org <us...@kafka.apache.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Newbie looking for a connector I can configure on my mac

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://docs.confluent.io/platform/current/connect/filestream_connector.html__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCUe9wex7w$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/docs.confluent.io/platform/current/connect/filestream_connector.html__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCUe9wex7w$>  looks really helpful.

    https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.kafka/connect-file__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCW7qkQA0Q$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.kafka/connect-file__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCW7qkQA0Q$>  - choose
[...]

    https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.confluent.io/hub/confluentinc/kafka-connect-datagen__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCVucIx6Ng$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.confluent.io/hub/confluentinc/kafka-connect-datagen__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCVucIx6Ng$>  <-
    generates a stream of test data
    https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.confluent.io/hub/jcustenborder/kafka-connect-twitter__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCXfwK4JoQ$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.confluent.io/hub/jcustenborder/kafka-connect-twitter__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCXfwK4JoQ$>  <-
    disregard, I saw you mentioned not having Twitter
    https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.confluent.io/hub/C0urante/kafka-connect-reddit__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCUgRY66HQ$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.confluent.io/hub/C0urante/kafka-connect-reddit__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCUgRY66HQ$>  <- I haven't

    wrote:

    > I found the quick start https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://kafka.apache.org/quickstart__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCVqUYeB3g$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/kafka.apache.org/quickstart__;!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCVqUYeB3g$>  example very
    > helpful. It made it really easy to understand how download, start up,
    > create topic, push some data through the Kafka. I did not find
    > https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://kafka.apache.org/quickstart*quickstart_kafkaconnect__;Iw!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCXxevE4wA$<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/kafka.apache.org/quickstart*quickstart_kafkaconnect__;Iw!!K_cMf-SQz-o!KwauyHePgwgsmQcFKSAVUaFQKtNg3E4x_56EGI-NS2nziM4tnO2dhNzU6uIPjCXxevE4wA$>  useful.
    >
    > I am looking for something very simple to  learning how to configure and
    > use connectors using Apache Kafka distribution, not Confluent. I can run on
    > my mac or Linux server. Being a newbie I want to keep things super simple.
    > I do not want to have to debug firewalls, ACL, …
    >
    > I do not have a data base, access to twitter, …
    >
    > I thought maybe something some sort source/sink using the local file
    > system?
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Andy
    >
    > p.s. I have read a lot of documentation most of it is very high level. Can
    > anyone recommend a “hand on” tutorial?

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may contain sensitive information, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately and destroy all copies of the e-mail and any attachments.

Re: Newbie looking for a connector I can configure on my mac

Posted by andrew davidson <an...@santacruzanalytics.com>.
Thanks Liam.

https://docs.confluent.io/platform/current/connect/filestream_connector.html looks really helpful.

Posted by Liam Clarke-Hutchinson <lc...@redhat.com>.
Hi Andrew Otto (Andrew 2? :D ),

Well noted. I should have worded it as "You don't need a Confluent
subscription to use them" :)

Cheers,

Liam

Posted by andrew davidson <an...@santacruzanalytics.com>.