Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Brian Madigan <bu...@yahoo.com> on 2002/12/05 18:00:10 UTC

XNI parsers and Xalan

Xalan uses Xerces to provide XML parsing. XNI allows
me to build an XNI parser of my own configuration. I
could build a parser for EDI or CSV files. Does anyone
know if XALAN could make use of my parser
implementations through some kind of configuration
settings? I would like to be able to deal with non-xml
data types using XNI and allow XSL transformations to
be applied to them.
Regards,
Brian Madigan

Re: XNI parsers and Xalan

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
> Does anyone know if XALAN could make use of my parser
> implementations through some kind of configuration
> settings?

That would be a better question for the Xalan mailing list than the Xerces
list, but I'll answer anyway since we're here...

Xalan's support for XNI has not been tested outside of the very specific
things we are using XNI to access -- incremental parsing, and (in the
xslt20 branch) schema support -- and those are running against XNI parsers
we hand-construct from within Xalan's code.

Theoretically, we do have an XNISource class, which could be wrapped
around any XNI configuration to let us use that for input. I'd be slightly
shocked if it actually worked for a configuration other than the ones
we've tried -- I don't know of any strong reason it shouldn't work, but I
don't think I understand XNI well enough to have written a particularly
robust solution.

So the answer at this time is "Nobody knows; feel free to try it, and if
it doesn't work feel free to contribute patches to help improve it. Good
luck."