Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ronald Wood <rw...@smarsh.com> on 2016/06/02 00:15:39 UTC

Solr /export and dates (Solr 5.5.1)

I have spent a bit of time with the export handler in 5.5.1 (since we are unable to upgrade directly from 4 to 6). The speed looks impressive at first glance compared to paging with cursors.

However, I am deeply confused that it does not seem to be possible to either sort on or get date values when doing an export.

I say deeply confused, because the example in the Reference Guide is this:

http://localhost:8983/solr/core_name/export?q=my-query&sort=severity+desc,timestamp+desc&fl=severity,timestamp,msg

Now, I suppose you could argue that timestamp’s schema type isn’t shown, so maybe it’s an epochal integer value.

Certainly when I try to get our date field (defined as TrieDateField in our schema) I get this error:

java.io.IOException: Export fields must either be one of the following types: int,float,long,double,string
      at org.apache.solr.response.SortingResponseWriter.getFieldWriters(SortingResponseWriter.java:277)
      at org.apache.solr.response.SortingResponseWriter.write(SortingResponseWriter.java:120)
      at org.apache.solr.response.QueryResponseWriterUtil.writeQueryResponse(QueryResponseWriterUtil.java:52)

And I see date is not a type there. However, int, float, long and double are also Trie types, so I’m not sure why a TrieDateField could not also be sorted or exported.

I wonder if someone could elucidate this. I would have thought getting dates out of an export or stream would be highly desirable. I am definitely open to the high likelihood I am doing something wrong.

I apologize if this topic has been covered before, as I was unable to find a way to search the mailing list on the Apache mail archives site. I wonder if there’s some search engine out there that could do that kind of thing? 😉

Ronald S. Wood | Senior Software Developer
857-991-7681 (mobile)

Smarsh
100 Franklin St. Suite 903 | Boston, MA 02210
1-866-SMARSH-1 | 971-998-9967 (fax)
www.smarsh.com<http://www.smarsh.com/>

Immediate customer support:
Call 1-866-762-7741 (x2) or visit www.smarsh.com/support<http://www.smarsh.com/support>

Re: Solr /export and dates (Solr 5.5.1)

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, it dropped off my radar somehow. Just opened SOLR-9187. I have
a patch that I'm testing now, we'll see how that goes.

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.