Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Raminderjeet Singh <ra...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/01 16:20:19 UTC

Feature List (from Proposal)

Hi All

As we have nice framework working and have done with most of the ground work. I think its a good idea to visit the feature list  from Rave proposal [1] and have small discussion on team/individual contributions. We can elaborate little bit more on these items (may be just from our previous discussions) and have some key modules figured out. I understand the impacts of module being assigned to one team but we can come up with some thing better. I bought this as its my 1st apache project and its difficult for me to decide where to start and contribute.

Core Features

Advanced OpenSocial compliance and optional features support
OpenSocial persistence and SPI implementation
Self-service application administration including security, gadget management and page templates
User and group management with full privacy model
Gadget repository with life-cycle management (install/update/remove) and extended meta data (categories, comments, ratings, etc.)
Dynamic and highly customizable front-end engine (skins, pages, tabs, layouts, navigation)
Full OAuth support
Support for security restrictions on both Gadgets and page/tag/layout customizations
Set of common and general purpose Gadgets to be usable out-of-the-box
Support for inter-gadget messaging with examples
Extensible Features

Pluggable persistence
Pluggable security model with example modules for authentication and authorization
Support for OpenSocial extensions not (yet) defined in the specification
Support for other (non-standard, yet) pluggable container services and extensions
[1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/RaveProposal

Thank
Raminder

Re: Feature List (from Proposal)

Posted by Raminderjeet Singh <ra...@gmail.com>.
Ross, I agree with your comments. I just wanted us to start with roadmap and help new members to contribute.

-Raman

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.
On 5/1/11 12:27 PM, "Ross Gardler" <rg...@apache.org> wrote:

>Just a quick comment about "module being assigned to one team" and your
>acknowledgement of the problems such an approach can bring. I'd suggest
>that "assignment" is the wrong way around. It forces someone to tell
>someone else what to do - that's not how an ASF project works. Everyone
>owns everything in an ASF project and everyone dives in where they feel
>most able.
>
>I understand your concern about not knowing where to contribute. This can
>indeed be a problem, especially for new communities or new members of a
>community.  However, I'd say that you just indicated where you can
>contribute healthily.
>
>Perhaps getting these features into the issues tracker so we can start to
>develop a roadmap. The we can encourage folk to contribute initial
>proposals or code as appropriate.

The feature lists from the proposal are very high-level and contain a lot
of implicit features within them.  Assuming lazy consensus, I will put a
few of the listed features in as Epics into JIRA and break down the one I
am currently working on into Stories.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.