Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de> on 2022/04/22 06:37:09 UTC

Follow-up to 8.0.11: Update of release documentation

Hi all,

after conducting my first release, I put my notes together and updated
our release documentation:
https://tomee.apache.org/dev/release-tomee.html

It might not be complete and might require some further polishing but I
think, that this will help others in conducting a release. The initial
ASF-related setup + GPG keys requires some effort ;)

In general, we learned that teaming up (committer + pmc) for a release
works quite well and it was a pleassure to work with JL on 8.0.11 :)

Most of the mechanical steps can be conducted with committer access
privileges (building, tagging, nexus/maven deploy, staging artifacts to
dist/dev); some formal steps like open/close the VOTE, moving the
artifacts from dist/dev to dist/release require a PMC member to be
involved.

Gruß
Richard

Re: Re: Follow-up to 8.0.11: Update of release documentation

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Hi Rod,

I updated the release tools (with TOMEE-3921), so we are now creating
consistent hashes regardless of the tooling used (homebrew release
tools vs linux onboard), i.e. it will be "<sha512> filename".

Gruß
Richard

Am Freitag, dem 22.04.2022 um 21:41 +0000 schrieb Jenkins, Rodney J
(Rod):

Posted by "Jenkins, Rodney J (Rod)" <JE...@nationwide.com>.
<<
    Do you have a preference for automation in your environment and for
    docker?

My only preference is consistency.  I have no technical preference one way or the other.  I can script it either way.  I do not want to alter Dockerfiles each time we do a release.

Thanks,
Rod.

On 4/22/22, 11:32 AM, "Richard Zowalla" <rz...@apache.org> wrote:

    Nationwide Information Security Warning: This is an EXTERNAL email. Use CAUTION before clicking on links, opening attachments, or responding. (Sender: dev-return-29302-JENKIR14=nationwide.com@tomee.apache.org)

    Hi Rod

    > My counterparts have reported that the sha files are in different
    > format than the last version, but the same as 8.0.7.

    >It would be nice if we could have a permanent standard.   When we
    >change the formats, it breaks automation on our end and in the docker
    >images.

    I agree - this time, the SHA512 hashes are created using our
    https://github.com/apache/tomee-release-tools

    I quickly checked the other releases (1.7.x, 7.x, 7.1.x), which follow
    the same pattern.

    BUT I agree, that it was different in previous TomEE 8 releases -
    perhaps the SHA512 hashes were not created using the tomee-release-
    tools. Nevertheless, we can enhance the release tools to follow the
    unix like pattern:

    <sha512> filename

    instead of

    <sha512>

    I have no preference ;) - for the first option, we need to update the
    release tools to include the filename to the .sha512 files. That would
    beconsistent in case the release hashs aren't created via the tomee-
    release-tools.

    Do you have a preference for automation in your environment and for
    docker?

    Gruß
    Rchard

    Am Freitag, dem 22.04.2022 um 15:26 +0000 schrieb Jenkins, Rodney J
    (Rod):

Posted by Richard Zowalla <rz...@apache.org>.
Hi Rod

Posted by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com>.
Pleasure shared. It was fun to work with you Richard.

The quality and the amount of contribution is astonishing. I'm glad we have
you.
--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro