Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Steven Guitar <st...@mac.com> on 2008/02/06 19:57:58 UTC

headless build vs. eclipse build

Hey guys,

i have written a headless build for a jar file that we use for our
framework to distribute to other developers. the jar file is given to
web developers who deploy their web apps to websphere app server, and
the jar file created from ant works fine.

when you start the server up with logging turned on, im getting some
weirdness in the logging of information pulled from the manifest file.
the manifest file has entries for implementation title, vendor, and
version and everything looks good. however, when the logger tries to
report what those values are at runtime, one of my 3 jars that ant
builds for the framework reports the information from another jar.

2 of the 3 work fine, but 1st to load gets #2's info, and 2 and 3 are
their own info as they are supposed to be. this is confusing because
this is how we keep developers the ability to know if they are up to
date on the version of the framework.

if i take the jars built straight from WSAD (eclipse) and distribute
those, everything is fine. i have examined the jar files and the
manifest files and everything seems in order. there are slight
differences in the manifest, but nothing more than the ordering of the
attributes.

i have tried to build the jar, and overwrite the ant built jar's
manifest with the manifest file from WSAD and that still does not work.

im sorta wondering if there is something else that WSAD does when
exporting jars that ant does not do that i am missing.

i have been trying to search this problem, but i cannot figure out the
culprit enough to know how to search for help. thought id give this a
shot!

Thanks in advance

Re: headless build vs. eclipse build

Posted by Steven Guitar <st...@mac.com>.
well i guess i was confused when i built the last test jars that i was
testing because after i logged off and back on this morning, my env
vars got reset correctly this time, as reported by -v on ant.

now when i build them from ANT, everything is working as intended.

thanks for the heads up Martin!

On Feb 6, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Martin Gainty wrote:

> blame is an svn command..
>
> since the manifest is different between IDE and command line  you
> may very
> well have jar 'extensions' added on
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html
>
> which is tested via ANT jarlib-available
> http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/jarlib-available.html
>
> But if you're using a different jar utility in eclipse (as indicated
> by
> different JAVA_HOME) then that would indicate the delta between the 2
> outputs
>
> Personally I would let eclipse generate the ant build.xml and then
> use that
> build.xml at command line and keep the JRE_HOME and JAVA_HOME and
> ANT_HOME
> in synch between the IDE and command line as even point release
> deltas can
> cause these sorts of discrepancies
>
> Martin--

>>> Preferences

Posted by Steven Guitar <st...@mac.com>.
I've got the env vars referencing the same in both worlds but still
not working.

If I were to check for jar extensions which do I check for?

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 6, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> blame is an svn command..
>
> since the manifest is different between IDE and command line  you
> may very
> well have jar 'extensions' added on
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html
>
> which is tested via ANT jarlib-available
> http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/jarlib-available.html
>
> But if you're using a different jar utility in eclipse (as indicated
> by
> different JAVA_HOME) then that would indicate the delta between the 2
> outputs
>
> Personally I would let eclipse generate the ant build.xml and then
> use that
> build.xml at command line and keep the JRE_HOME and JAVA_HOME and
> ANT_HOME
> in synch between the IDE and command line as even point release
> deltas can
> cause these sorts of discrepancies
>
> Martin--

>>> Preferences

Posted by Steven Guitar <st...@mac.com>.
so i changed the JAVA_HOME var to point to the same directory as my
JRE in the java build path properties on the project(s) in question.

i built from the command line, and same result. working jars, but the
manifest info gets read incorrectly.

so if i was to use this jarlib extention tester, i would put that in
my jar target of the ant script before the jar task?

On Feb 6, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Martin Gainty wrote:

> blame is an svn command..
>
> since the manifest is different between IDE and command line  you
> may very
> well have jar 'extensions' added on
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html
>
> which is tested via ANT jarlib-available
> http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/jarlib-available.html
>
> But if you're using a different jar utility in eclipse (as indicated
> by
> different JAVA_HOME) then that would indicate the delta between the 2
> outputs
>
> Personally I would let eclipse generate the ant build.xml and then
> use that
> build.xml at command line and keep the JRE_HOME and JAVA_HOME and
> ANT_HOME
> in synch between the IDE and command line as even point release
> deltas can
> cause these sorts of discrepancies
>
> Martin--

>>> Preferences