Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Lars Huttar <la...@sil.org> on 2004/05/01 18:09:19 UTC

to develop in Woody or CForms?

This relates to the recent poll on Woody/CForms versions:
We are working on a Cocoon application that currently runs
under Cocoon 2.1.2.
Upgrading Cocoon is somewhat effort-expensive/risky for us,
because several other parties are using the same Cocoon test
server as we are. (Although we could separate them...)

Anyway, we're about to begin adding some forms to our application,
probably using Woody/CForms. I've learned that "Woody" has changed
to "CForms", but I'm told that this occurred after 2.1.4, the latest
stable release.

So... the question is, should we start implementing our forms
in Woody, possibly working with misfeatures that haven't yet
had the kinks shaken out, and knowing that we'll have to migrate
to CForms later?
Or should we start using the not-yet-stable Cocoon 2.1.5,
develop in not-yet-stable CForms, knowing we'll need to upgrade
Cocoon again when 2.1.5 stable release comes out?

I'm thinking that the former is better, since we won't have
as much of the headache of working with an unstable framework.
But I'd welcome your thoughts.

Lars

RE: to develop in Woody or CForms?

Posted by Lars Huttar <la...@sil.org>.
> > So... the question is, should we start implementing our forms
> > in Woody, possibly working with misfeatures that haven't yet
> > had the kinks shaken out, and knowing that we'll have to migrate
> > to CForms later?
> > Or should we start using the not-yet-stable Cocoon 2.1.5,
> > develop in not-yet-stable CForms, knowing we'll need to upgrade
> > Cocoon again when 2.1.5 stable release comes out?
> >
> > I'm thinking that the former is better, since we won't have
> > as much of the headache of working with an unstable framework.
> > But I'd welcome your thoughts.
>
> CForms is not less stable than Woody, I would even say it's the other
> way around, because the API is cleaned at the moment - but maybe this
> "at the moment" is important. But IMO the headache by upgrading from
> 2.1.4 and Woody to 2.1.5 and CForms might be bigger than the usage of
> the current CForms.
> Furthermore the 2.1.5 seems not to be that far away. We
> already agreed
> in starting the code freeze after next First Friday and to
> release one
> week later, on 14th of May.

Thanks for the helpful advice.
I was assuming, based on past patterns, that the 2.1.5 stable release
would be at least a few (if not several) months away.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 01.05.2004 18:09, Lars Huttar wrote:

> This relates to the recent poll on Woody/CForms versions:
> We are working on a Cocoon application that currently runs
> under Cocoon 2.1.2.
> Upgrading Cocoon is somewhat effort-expensive/risky for us,
> because several other parties are using the same Cocoon test
> server as we are. (Although we could separate them...)
>
> Anyway, we're about to begin adding some forms to our application,
> probably using Woody/CForms. I've learned that "Woody" has changed
> to "CForms", but I'm told that this occurred after 2.1.4, the latest
> stable release.
>
> So... the question is, should we start implementing our forms
> in Woody, possibly working with misfeatures that haven't yet
> had the kinks shaken out, and knowing that we'll have to migrate
> to CForms later?
> Or should we start using the not-yet-stable Cocoon 2.1.5,
> develop in not-yet-stable CForms, knowing we'll need to upgrade
> Cocoon again when 2.1.5 stable release comes out?
>
> I'm thinking that the former is better, since we won't have
> as much of the headache of working with an unstable framework.
> But I'd welcome your thoughts.

CForms is not less stable than Woody, I would even say it's the other
way around, because the API is cleaned at the moment - but maybe this
"at the moment" is important. But IMO the headache by upgrading from
2.1.4 and Woody to 2.1.5 and CForms might be bigger than the usage of
the current CForms.
Furthermore the 2.1.5 seems not to be that far away. We already agreed
in starting the code freeze after next First Friday and to release one
week later, on 14th of May.

Joerg