Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Peter Campbell <p....@trl.oz.au> on 1999/07/05 05:31:52 UTC

mod_proxy/4693: Using fails when trying to do user authorisation

>Number:         4693
>Category:       mod_proxy
>Synopsis:       Using <Directory proxy:*></Directory> fails when trying to do user authorisation
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Have a ProxyPass setup to an internal machine.  Wish to stop access to it from the main site based on username/password.  Setup with <Directory proxy:*> fine for IP restriction, but when try adding user authorisation eg:
  AuthName "x"
  AuthType Basic
  AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/passwd
  require user foo
then get error message when try to access site.
In IE4 get very weird "...cannot open the site ... Not enough storage is available to process this command" and in Netscape 4.5 get a 407 Proxy Authentication Required error immediately - it doesn't ask for username/password.
>How-To-Repeat:
Currently at
  http://www.elaunceston.com/hztest/
>Fix:
No.  Works with normal directories, just not Proxy, so must be some bug in this module.  Could you please email me when you know if this is a bug, & how to fix it, or if not what I'm doing wrong?
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]