Posted to dev@opendal.apache.org by tison <wa...@gmail.com> on 2023/11/18 11:13:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] For Gradution - Have an agreement on the members of the PMC

Hi,

Here is a sub-object on the project graduation - Have an agreement on the
members of the PMC[1].

Generally, all members of the PPMC will be included in the TLP PMC. All
members of the IPC will be invited to join the TLP PMC.

I'll additionally suggest including all the current committers in the TLP
PMC unless there is a certain issue.

And this thread is to reach a consensus on the proposal above.

Best,
tison.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-opendal/issues/3616

Re: [DISCUSS] For Gradution - Have an agreement on the members of the PMC

Posted by Suyan <su...@gmail.com>.
> Generally, all members of the PPMC will be included in the TLP PMC. All
> members of the IPC will be invited to join the TLP PMC.

For me, this suggestion is unacceptable.
What the community needs most is fairness, but to do so would create a
certain unfairness.

> mapping the current PPMC members and committers
> structure to the graduated PMC members and committers structure.

This one is fine to me.

Sincerely,
Suyan

tison <wa...@gmail.com> 于2023年11月18日周六 19:15写道:

Posted by Cai Lue <ca...@apache.org>.
Sorry, I have made a confusion here.

> I'll additionally suggest including all the current committers in the TLP
> PMC unless there is a certain issue.

By `included` I mean be included in `inviting`, not directly `included` in the name list.

In other words, I think current policy is acceptable. If all people are invited and included, it will be better.

Posted by Chojan Shang <ps...@apache.org>.
LGTM, I agree with Xuanwo's solution.

I have carefully read through all the discussions in this thread, and now I understand the matter.

Best,
PsiACE

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Initiate an invitation to all committers

To be clear, this will happen along with the invitation to mentors
(i.e., almost the last step before or along with the formal graduation
discussion)?

Given that we still have other tasks before starting a graduation
resolution[1], I don't think we should go through this now/first.

Best,
tison.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-opendal/issues/3283

Xuanwo <xu...@apache.org> 于2023年11月30日周四 17:57写道:

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Normally we send the mail to the committer's email address and cc the
private list to ask if they are interested about being the PMC of the
graduating project.
If the response is key, we can put him into the PMC list.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Posted by Xuanwo <xu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mingzhuo Yin <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cai Lue <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Xuanwo <xu...@apache.org> 于2023年11月18日周六 20:15写道:

> > This is usually measuring whether the project is fully understanding the
> > ASF culture, including don't set the bar too high, and be open.
>
> Yes, OpenDAL maintains a low bar for both committers and PPMC members: we've welcomed 2 new PPMC members and 9 new committers during the incubation period which is less than 9 months.
>
> > Committer and PMC member are same from privilege of codes. PMC members are
> > only taking more responsibilities to take actions on security, board
> > request, vote evaluation.
> > The common misunderstanding is, PMC members should have more power, or aka
> > more authority. +1 binding is a responsibility, not a power.
>
> I toally agree the comments here. PMC members will have more responsibility to take and this is why we set different bar for committers and PPMC members for now.
>
> I propose promoting committers to PPMC members based on their prior contributions before initiating our vote for graduation, rather than automatically including all existing committers as PPMC members.

About this `rather than` thing.
It is too early to say. I will hold mine until the graduation discussion comes.

To other mentors, please consider this as a factor about the maturity
of the project community, although this is from one member of the PMC.

Posted by Xuanwo <xu...@apache.org>.

--
Xuanwo

Re: [DISCUSS] For Gradution - Have an agreement on the members of the PMC

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xuanwo <xu...@apache.org>.

Posted by sundyli <su...@apache.org>.
> We can regard this round as a chance to review our
> contributors/committers and nominate them if desired.

I agree with this point.

> All members of the IPC will be invited to join the TLP PMC.

Better to vote for the specific person to be the PMC member, not all of
them.

> I agree that this is a concern that the PPMC is less active in the
> graduation discussion and moving forward tasks.

Sorry for the less active in this thread, a little busy with work and a new
baby.

tison <wa...@gmail.com> 于2023年11月30日周四 15:06写道:

Posted by Xuanwo <xu...@apache.org>.
> Two, PPMC is being measured as a high authority, which may be too
> high. The following and similar replies show up in this thread, I am
> not sure whether this is a language issue, but this kind of speaking
> in public(the dev mail list is public), is a kind of Dictatorship,
> that conflicts with ASF culture.

There might be a misunderstanding here. (I personally believe they are language issues).

PPMC members don't hold superior authority; all committers are equal within the OpenDAL community. The distinction between a PPMC member (a future PMC member) and a committer lies in their responsibilities. We nominate someone as PPMC member after they've demonstrated an increased willingness to take on responsibility through their contributions.

--
Xuanwo

Re: [DISCUSS] For Gradution - Have an agreement on the members of the PMC

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suyan <su...@gmail.com>.

Xuanwo <xu...@apache.org> 于2023年11月30日周四 15:19写道:

Posted by Xuanwo <xu...@apache.org>.

--
Xuanwo

Re: [DISCUSS] For Gradution - Have an agreement on the members of the PMC

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xuanwo <xu...@apache.org>.

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.