Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2012/12/22 00:24:09 UTC

Re: HBase Integration Tests running on bigtop01.cloudera.org?

(Adding dev@hbase to the conversation -- below is follow up to request
asking if we could run hbase it tests on bigtop infrastructure)

Let me add more to Andrew's answers.

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi Roman and Stack,
>
> >  let us know if your system tests can be deployed to Maven with every
> nightly build of HBase as a standalone artifact that Bigtop's iTest can
> simply depend on
>
> I believe we have an "hbase-it" artifact containing integration tests that
> pulls in all of the other HBase artifacts.

What Andrew says.  It has a few tests already:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/hbase/trunk/hbase-it/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/

One of these in particular, IntegrationTestDataIngestWithChaosMonkey, would
be sweet to run on a period.

You want us to push a nightly snapshot up to apache maven repo?  We'd just
have apache jenkins do that?

> >  let us know what's your sweet spot for the # of nodes/RS
>
> One of our large tests -- TestReplication -- is going to be moved out into
> an integration test, and this will want to configure two independent
> clusters with client access to both. Assume two 3 slave clusters, that's a
> total of 8. Otherwise for single cluster tests 5 slaves seems a good
> starting point IMO.

The tests in hbase-it can are sized.  If the cluster is bigger, we can up
the test parameters to flood it.  5 is probably a good size to start with.

Where would the configs go?  Would we have to give these up front or is
there means, somewhere where we can commit, of managing them ourselves?

> > what are you expectations for tests that do manipulate the state of the
> cluster (like ChaosMonkey) -- do you expect unrestricted ssh, etc?
>
> I think we want, at least, unrestricted access on the service accounts for
> hdfs, hbase, zookeeper, so we can kill -9 or kill -STOP processes at
> different system layers.

What Andrew said.  Minimally we'd want access to the logs (or at least have
them collected at test end and made accessible somewhere).

> > All in all, I think this makes perfect sense and if there are folks in
> the HBase community willing to help us get this going it'll be a 'beginning
> of a beautiful friendship' ;-)
>
> Yes. Great!

Chalk me down as someone willing to help get the 'beautiful friendship' off
the ground (Others wil be interested too....)

St.Ack