Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Superstring Media <su...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/02 09:51:38 UTC

Re: [jfxtras-users] Future of the JFXtras Project

Hi Steve,

Yes, people say I have the gift of the pitch, when I believe in something I express it and the converse holds true as well. Seriously, I've been happy lately, my company was slowed down by the tides of JavaFX earlier and has an agenda to finish off our software sooner rather than later.

It was "the night before christmas" (JavaOne 2010) while everything was a hush, when I discovered Pivot. So, in the midst of Oracle scattering the bonds and progress made by the JavaFX and other communities like JCP I was happy and wanted to share the fact that there are still positive things going on. Truthfully, the way JavaFX has been managed at the top for the past years is nothing short of a train wreck. The way things went at JavaOne is both good and bad news, it certainly does leave one shaking their head and a whole new meaning to Jimi's song "Purple Haze".

Moving on, it looks like Visage is a positive step forward as well and I do wish it every success. At the moment our developers understand Java and XML and then later may have to make adjustments when porting to other platforms like tablets, a universal language or script would of course be ideal. I understand and appreciate the differences in syntax but would it not be a lot of trouble interfacing with toolkits like Pivot? Also, what if JavaFX never arrives?

Apologies are not necessary we all want to find our best way forward,

Thom

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> FYI, you can use Scala to code with Pivot today if that is your preference.

Here is a concrete example, in case you are interested:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/pivot/trunk/examples/src/org/apache/pivot/examples/scripting/

Check out ScalaWindow.scala and scala_window.bxml (as well as JavaWindow.java and java_window.bxml, for comparison).

Re: [jfxtras-users] Future of the JFXtras Project

Posted by Superstring Media <su...@gmail.com>.
Eric and all,

FYI, you can use Scala to code with Pivot today if that is your preference. BXML is only an optional way to declaratively construct the UI or any other object graph, suitable where it fits best without forcing itself on you, like JavaFX Script use to. If preferred you can just use Java, Scala or any of the other supported languages without using BXML.

Pivot 2.0 which is due out in a month or so will go into further detail on using alternate languages.

I still think that it is marvellous that someone (Pivot) had the foresight to develop and provide a solid framework while Oracle just leaves its crew cut-off, starving and having to fend for themselves in the wilderness. Do not fool yourself, Oracle does not only want to make Prism nice for everyone, they want to re-enginner the whole candy-stack so that in the future there will only be one door to come knocking on, theirs for a price if they can help it. Certainly, the face of Java will never be the same and we have to live with the fallout and new regime.

Beware,

Thom