Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by John Blum <jb...@pivotal.io> on 2019/09/03 17:40:18 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

+1

Ran SDG build against Apache Geode 1.9.1 build snapshots (for RC3).

However, can we seriously reconsider logging the follow message at ERROR?
Ugh!

ERROR StatusLogger Log4j2 could not find a logging implementation. Please
add log4j-core to the classpath. Using SimpleLogger to log to the console...

WARN is more than sufficient.  If no logging provider is on the CLASSPATH,
it creates a lot of noise!

-John

--
-John
john.blum10101 (skype)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Ran geode-release-check -
https://github.com/upthewaterspout/geode-release-check

I have no opinion on the bug Jens found - since was a bug in 1.9.0, I'm ok
shipping 1.9.1 without it.

-Dan

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.
Note to anyone actually trying to build and run unit tests using the
*rel/v1.9.1.RC3* tag...

1.9.x does not contain my fix for PartitionedRegionLoadModelJUnitTest so it
may fail as it depends on your networking configuration.

The failure looks like:

*org.apache.geode.internal.cache.partitioned.rebalance.PartitionedRegionLoadModelJUnitTest
> testRedundancySatisfactionPreferRemoteIp FAILED
java.lang.AssertionError:
expected:<[Create[member=10.118.33.202(5346)<ec>:3,bucketId=0],
Create[member=10.118.33.202(5346)<ec>:3,bucketId=1],
Create[member=10.118.33.202(5346)<ec>:3,bucketId=2]]> but
was:<[Create[member=10.118.33.202(5346)<ec>:3,bucketId=0],
Create[member=10.118.33.202(5346)<ec>:1,bucketId=1],
Create[member=10.118.33.202(5346)<ec>:3,bucketId=2]]>        at
org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:88)        at
org.junit.Assert.failNotEquals(Assert.java:834)        at
org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:118)        at
org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:144)        at
org.apache.geode.internal.cache.partitioned.rebalance.PartitionedRegionLoadModelJUnitTest.testRedundancySatisfactionPreferRemoteIp(PartitionedRegionLoadModelJUnitTest.java:224)*

The fix (in develop and 1.10.x) is in this commit:

*commit 81e52443445fef3745f4249c1eb08e1a19f7392eAuthor: Kirk Lund
<klund@apache.org <kl...@apache.org>>Date:   Thu Apr 11 16:20:50 2019
-0700    GEODE-6618: Remove PartitionedRegionLoadModelJUnitTest etc hosts
dependency (#3435)*

I simply changed the test to use *SocketCreator.getLocalHost()* instead of
*InetAddress.getLocalHost()*. A better fix would be to add a bit more
abstraction to tests being tested so that the test doesn't use LocalHost.
Unit tests shouldn't depend on networking or host configuration.

So, if you are testing 1.9.1 by building and unit testing the source test,
please be aware that you may see PartitionedRegionLoadModelJUnitTest fail
depending on your networking configuration.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

Posted by Ivan Godwin <ig...@pivotal.io>.
I know that 1.9.1 has already been release, but I'm working to verify the
native client, now.

Ivan

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

Posted by Nabarun Nag <nn...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

Posted by Robert Houghton <rh...@pivotal.io>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@pivotal.io>.
No, It's fixed in 1.10.x.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

Posted by Robert Houghton <rh...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Jens,

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@pivotal.io>.
TL;DR: +0

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

Posted by John Blum <jb...@pivotal.io>.
1 more thing...

--
-John
john.blum10101 (skype)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Geode 1.9.1.RC3

Posted by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org>.
Hi John, Unfortunately, that ERROR message is logged by Log4J, not Geode.
The only way to prevent it or turn it off is to provide a logging
implementation. Putting Logback plus Log4j 2 to SLF4J Adapter on the
classpath should be sufficient to make Log4J happy.