Posted to photark-dev@incubator.apache.org by Umashanthi Pavalanathan <um...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/18 10:28:07 UTC

Re: Making PhotArk More Social

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 4:22 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan <
umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan <
> umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
>>> <um...@gmail.com>

>>> releases? Is
>>> activities
>>> >

>>> As for the storage system, we currently use a JCR repository, but I
>>> believe this is something we can discuss. If you think that a
>>> different storage mechanism would work better with the relationships
>>> and other requirements from open social, please start a new thread and
>>> let's discuss this with the community. Personally, I've been working
>>> with some noSQL databases, and think they can be another option for
>>> us.
>>>

>> Sure. I'm not much familiar with the JCR repository. I'll first look into
>> it and then will post my opinions.
>>

> I had a look at the JCR API, storage structure and the current usage of it
> in PhotArk. I believe it well suits the idea I had about a flexible
> mechanism to store the social related data. The concepts of parent node,
> child node and properties of nodes can be utilized for easily storing the
> social data. A simple structure is shown in the attached image.
>
> I have a question regarding the JCR nodes. Is there any concept of
> links/associations between nodes?(eg: creating a link kind of relation
> between two nodes and retrieving a node's links). If there is such a feature
> available, it can be used to handle the relationship mapping. i.e: if two
> users are friends, a link between the two nodes representing those users can
> be created and removed when removing relationship. I've come across a method
> getSharedSet() [1] in the API. Does this provide such feature?  It would be
> great if someone familiar with JCR can clarify this.

I have asked about this question in the Jackrabbit mailing list and they've
provided positive response[1] that this feature of associating nodes can be
accomplished using the existing JCR implementation. So, I think we can go
ahead with the JCR mechanism. Anyway we can provide good set of interfaces
so that it give support for different back end implementations, in the
future.

Luciano, can I get started with writing the basic interfaces for the Social
API in my checkout of the REST branch? Do you have any conventions to follow
in the package structure, or can I create one ask for your suggestion?

Meanwhile, I would like to continue this effort as a Google Summer of Code
project. Is there any new procedure Apache follows this year to collect the
summer of code ideas? else can I use the wiki page to start with my project
proposals & other details. As I understood last year JIRA was used as the
place to discuss the project ideas; if there is any such procedure this
time, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jackrabbit-users/201102.mbox/%3CAANLkTinOjvvq9jLAbhETVdkky_mbYm8_sAGpj94d6Roc@mail.gmail.com%3E

Thanks,
~Umashanthi

>>> http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
<um...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi devs and Luciano,
>
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
> <um...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, looks good and aligned with what we have discussed in the dev
list threads.

Posted by Umashanthi Pavalanathan <um...@gmail.com>.
Hi devs and Luciano,

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan <
umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
>> <um...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I have asked about this question in the Jackrabbit mailing list and
>> they've
>> > provided positive response[1] that this feature of associating nodes can
>> be
>> > accomplished using the existing JCR implementation. So, I think we can
>> go
>> > ahead with the JCR mechanism. Anyway we can provide good set of
>> interfaces
>> > so that it give support for different back end implementations, in the
>> > future.
>> >

>> +1
>>
>> > Luciano, can I get started with writing the basic interfaces for the
>> Social
>> > API in my checkout of the REST branch? Do you have any conventions to
>> follow
>> > in the package structure, or can I create one ask for your suggestion?
>> >

>> +1, any enhancements, suggestions, feedback are welcome. Please try to
>> provide patches as much as possible, so it's easier to review, easier
>> to apply, etc
>>

> Sure.
>

>> > Meanwhile, I would like to continue this effort as a Google Summer of
>> Code
>> > project. Is there any new procedure Apache follows this year to collect
>> the
>> > summer of code ideas? else can I use the wiki page to start with my
>> project
>> > proposals & other details. As I understood last year JIRA was used as
>> the
>> > place to discuss the project ideas; if there is any such procedure this
>> > time, please let me know.
>> >

>> Information about GSoC  is available here
>> http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html
>>
>> I'd suggest
>> 1)Create a jira and label it gsoc ad high level requirement for your idea
>> 2)Start working on the project proposal on the wiki

I am working on the project proposal in the wiki at [1]. I would like to get
your valuable feedback and suggestions on it.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PHOTARKxWIKI/Adding+Social+Features+to+PhotArk

Thanks,
~Umashanthi

Posted by Umashanthi Pavalanathan <um...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 3:28 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
> <um...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have asked about this question in the Jackrabbit mailing list and
> they've
> > provided positive response[1] that this feature of associating nodes can
> be
> > accomplished using the existing JCR implementation. So, I think we can go
> > ahead with the JCR mechanism. Anyway we can provide good set of
> interfaces
> > so that it give support for different back end implementations, in the
> > future.
> >

> +1
>
> > Luciano, can I get started with writing the basic interfaces for the
> Social
> > API in my checkout of the REST branch? Do you have any conventions to
> follow
> > in the package structure, or can I create one ask for your suggestion?
> >

> +1, any enhancements, suggestions, feedback are welcome. Please try to
> provide patches as much as possible, so it's easier to review, easier
> to apply, etc

Sure.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
<um...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have asked about this question in the Jackrabbit mailing list and they've
> provided positive response[1] that this feature of associating nodes can be
> accomplished using the existing JCR implementation. So, I think we can go
> ahead with the JCR mechanism. Anyway we can provide good set of interfaces
> so that it give support for different back end implementations, in the
> future.

+1