Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2007/04/01 03:41:51 UTC

Re: C# API for Solr

: One administrative question: can I contribute these files to be stored under
: /lucene/solr/trunk/client?  I don't have a handy place for making these
: publicly accessible at the moment.

yeah, as long as you can submit them in a Jira issue and legally check the
"grant apache liscence" radio button (or whatever it says) then it can be
commited into the solr trunk.

On a related note: We've still never really figured out how to deal with
integrating compilation or testing for client code into our main and build
system -- or for that matter how we should distribute them when we do our
next release, so if you have any suggestions regarding your C# client by
all means speak up ... in the mean time we can do the same thing Erik
started with solrb and flare: an isolated build system that makes sense to
the people who understand that language and rely on community to cacth any
changes to Solr that might break clients.

-Hoss

Re: C# API for Solr

Posted by Paul Borgermans <pa...@gmail.com>.
I agree fully, for me the PHP client API in the works should be including a
good set of unit tests.

The channel dilemma also shows up, as in the PHP ecosystem there are at
least 2 major ones to hook up.

Personally I would go for eZ components as this already provides a good
framework with unit tests. But I also think having something generic (and
supports PHP4.x) that makes its way into Solr client API's independently is
good to increase the adoption of Solr anyhow.

Just a few early monday morning thoughts ...
Paul

Re: C# API for Solr

Posted by Jeff Rodenburg <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: C# API for Solr

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
It would be great to have solr-ruby (the library formerly known as
solrb) included with Solr distributions, as well as Flare too.  It
would give these libraries visibility and usability they'd not see if
they required additional downloads or "svn co".  I can certainly say
that solr-ruby does not faithfully keep up with all the great stuff
that keeps innovating in Solr but its quite usable as-is already and
will get even more so when more folks experience it.

However, these client libraries often desire to release themselves
through other channels, like pushing solr-ruby to RubyForge for easy
installation with 'gem install solr-ruby'.

We could certainly have the solr-ruby Rakefile invoked from our
Hudson build system to have all the unit tests run.  We have quite a
robust set of tests in there actually.

	Erik