Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2013/11/18 20:56:16 UTC

[FLEXJS] Overlays and SWC Refactoring

Right now, you can play with FlexJS by getting a FlexJSOverlay.zip and
following a set of instructions.  The reason it is called FlexJSOVERLAY is
because it overlays a hacked up copy of framework.swc on top of the
framework.swc in a working Flex SDK.

Framework.swc is used by MXMLC when it compiles your code as you type.
Classes in framework.swc are not use in Falcon compiles your code.  I
think I've now identified the set of classes that MXMLC was counting on,
and built "shim" classes for them in FlexJSUI.swc, so that we no longer
need to overlay framework.swc.  The latest FlexJSOverlay.zip I just posted
no longer does the overlay and doesn't have a framework.swc at all, MXMLC
finds the shim classes in FlexJSUI.swc.

That said, FlexJSUI.swc now contains around two dozen shim classes.  I now
want to separate them into their own MXMLCClasses.swc.  This will require
some re-organization of classes in frameworks/as.  I want to make sure
everyone is mostly checked in before I go and do this.

No longer having to hack framework.swc has one other big benefit.  It
simplifies the steps to packaging so it now starts to make sense to manage
the packaging as part of an Ant script, so once I get the SWCs refactored
I'm going to create an Ant script that makes the FlexJSOverlay.zip.  I'll
probably keep the name for now until after we get a true installer ready.

So, let me know if it is safe to do this refactoring.

-Alex

Re: [FLEXJS] Overlays and SWC Refactoring

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
>>They are actually overrides of the defaults set in the Configuration
>>class and it's super classes. Nothing special, nothing dynamic ;-)
> OK, I'll have to look into it.  I'm specifically interested in how the
> -js-lib entries get set.

'sdk-js-lib' is handled in JSGoogConfiguration.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FLEXJS] Overlays and SWC Refactoring

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 11/18/13 1:33 PM, "Erik de Bruin" <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

>>>By the way, did you see my commit for the defaults for the command
>>>line arguments to FalconJx? Having those should make the launch files
>>>a bit lighter, not having to set these arguments and all.
>> No, I missed that.  How does it work?  FalconJX is also picking up the
>> -library-path and main mxml file from the FB config, but having a way to
>> pick up the other options would be great too.
>
>They are actually overrides of the defaults set in the Configuration
>class and it's super classes. Nothing special, nothing dynamic ;-)
OK, I'll have to look into it.  I'm specifically interested in how the
-js-lib entries get set.

>> One thing I see coming up is that if you have a big enough project to
>>have
>> your own SWCs, once you cross-compile that SWC to a folder of JS files,
>> there is no automagic mapping of the library-path to the SWC to the
>>folder
>> of JS files for that SWC.  Maybe we can guess the folder of JS files
>>from
>> certain library-path entries?
>
>You mean: how does my main project (JS version) connect to the SWC (JS
>version, compiled previously/separately)? Not sure if that's possible
>at all, as I said in a previous thread. The GCC process ALL files
>together, calculating dependencies and renaming/inlining whatever it
>finds, from all over the files. Now, there are way to 'publish' the
>API of one project/SWC (export, externs) and tell another project
>about it, but I'm not sure we'll be able to that automagically...
Yes, we will have to handle the equivalent of external libraries, but in
this case I'm asking about other libraries that get linked/compiled-in at
publish time.  Consider this case:  In a large app with multiple
engineers, each one is assigned a SWC to work on.  Everybody's FB
workspace has each of the SWC projects and the one main app project.
Things are broken up to reduce compile time: changes to one SWC generally
don't affect the other SWCs.  The main apps' compiler settings has a
-library-path entry pointing to each SWC.  The SWF compiler sucks all of
the ABC code from those SWCs into the SWF.  On the JS side, those SWC
engineers can run COMPCJX and get a pile of JS files.  When building the
JS app, they should also get the benefits of not having to wait to
cross-compile every file from every SWC.  This works today if you add
additional -js-lib arguments to point to the other piles of JS code.  GCC
then compiles everything into one minified file.

So my question for this scenario was whether there would be a way to map
-library-path entries to -js-lib entries.  The folks setting up their
projects have a place to put the -library-path settings (in the compiler
options), but there isn't a place (other than the launch configs) to put
additional -js-lib folders.  Maybe the default output folder for the JS
code can be guessed from the -library-path settings?

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:

> Well, we keep the honorary major version 4 and do the actual numbering
> with the minor version and the build number. We start with 4.0.1 for
> alpha 1 and work our way up to 4.1.0 for the first release.

I like this but I would prefer it to start from 5.  Flex 4.1.0 is already a
thing.  Whereas if we message things correctly, Flex 5.1.0 and FlexJS 5.1.0
can co-exist without too much confusion.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FLEXJS] Overlays and SWC Refactoring

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Alexander,

I update the ticket to reflect what I think it's the basic set of tools.
Mainly:

* Create a FlexJS Project
* Add a FlexJS SDK
* Compile files in the project with the selected SDK
* Get the output in some selected folder
* Have a "Run App" for this kind of app that would let the developer to
select what kind of output (SWF, JS-HTML, JS-HTML5, JS-CREATEJS,
JS-JQUERY,...) and launch the output in a browser.

Hope this list is what you are referring to.

Best

Carlos

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [FLEXJS] Overlays and SWC Refactoring

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Ok! :)

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [FLEXJS] Overlays and SWC Refactoring

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Thanks to you Alexander,

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [FLEXJS] Overlays and SWC Refactoring

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
OK, I've moved the as code into a subfolder.  The ant build for
FlexJSUI.swc is probably broken, but I'll be working on it and a
uber-script now.  But you should be able to modify AS classes after
pulling and any further work I do should not result in a conflict.

-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.