Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2015/07/02 09:42:35 UTC

Re: Broken link report.

On 02/07/2015 04:23, Billson Chew wrote:
> Hi Webmaster,
>
>     I'm a web developer, while checking through tomcat logging, found
>     there has a broken link in page below:
>

>         http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html
>

>     Broken link detected: java.util.logging.Formatter
>     <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/util/logging/Formatter.html>

Thanks for the report but we won't be fixing it.

Tomcat 5.5.x is no longer supported and all links on the Tomcat web site
to the 5.5.x docs were removed at the end of 2012. As with all
unsupported Tomcat versions, the 5.5.x docs were left in place (in case
folks were still linking to what are now very out of date docs) but they
are not maintained.

If you came to that page via the Tomcat home page, do let us know where
you found the link since all such links should have been removed. If you
came to that page via a 3rd party site it suggests that the site is
rather out of date.

Regards,

Mark

Re: Broken link report.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 02/07/2015 08:52, Billson Chew wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
>     Sure, http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html, this
>     page is fine, as you said, people still looking for outdated doc for
>     existing outdated system which not planning to migrate to new tomcat.
>
>     Just try to contribute to make apache doc to be better by doing this
>     report.
>
>     Understand that no more further maintenance, and thank you to reply.
>
>     BTW, I got tomcat5.5doc link
>     from: http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Logging
>
>     Can be search by: ://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html
>     <http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html>

Ah. The wiki. We must have missed that when we went looking for 5.5.
links back in 2012. I've just fixed it. Thanks.

Mark