Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jonathan Revusky <jo...@revusky.com> on 2003/06/01 22:39:49 UTC

Re: Struts & Velocity

Met @ Uber wrote:
> Could anyone point me towards some good resources on using struts and
> velocity together?  I get the general idea, it replaces JSP, but how do
> I set it up within my struts actions (and anywhere else needed for use
> within struts)?

I know this isn't precisely what you're asking for, but if you're
interested in replacing the use of JSP with a template engine, you might
consider FreeMarker, which is a template engine like Velocity, but more
powerful, and more actively developed and maintained currently.

FreeMarker integrates quite well with Struts. Here is the appropriate
manual section.

http://freemarker.org/docs/pgui_misc_servlet.html

One major advantage of FM is that 3rd party JSP taglibs are supported
from within FreeMarker templates. So, basically, you get your cake and
eat it too. If there is some really cool JSP taglib that does something
you need, you don't lose the ability to leverage that by opting for FM
over JSP.

Anyway, I hope that's helpful.

Best Regards,

Jonathan Revusky